Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
dcohee
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Darcie C.

Possible False Alarm?

Post by dcohee »

Hello,

In Veeam Monitor, we have setup a custom alarm for the vCenter server. It has the following properties:

State of virtual center equal Not Responding.
State of virtual center non equal Connected.

It is then supposed to email us when these two rules are met.

I have two questions:

1.) When I select these two rules for one alarm, is it assumed that having more than one rule is equal to "OR" or "AND"? I didn't see anything to specify that on there... so, will the alarm be triggered if ONE condition is met, or if BOTH are met?

2.) Is there a place where we can check the alarm logs? After a quick look around, I did not see a place to check out why the alarm was actually triggered.

After the alarm email was sent, my boss quickly logged onto our vCenter server, and it was clearly up and running. So we are not sure what could have caused that alarm to go off. It has not happened again, so perhaps it was just a fluke.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Also, thanks for providing a good support forum for Veeam product users. I am actually quite impressed with the responsiveness of the Veeam employees on this site. It's good to know that I have people to ask for help when needed, because a lot of companies don't do this. :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Possible False Alarm?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Darcie,

When you specify two or more rules, the alarm will be triggered as soon as one of the defined rule conditions is met. You may check alarm history to see which event/rule triggered the alarm. If I were you I would also check events on this VM, as those might shed some light on the issue as well.

Let me know how it works for you. Thanks!
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

I checked the events in the VMWare vSphere monitor, but didn't see anything.

I'm not seeing anything especially obvious in Monitor either.

When it tests to see whether or not vCenter is responding/connected, do you know what it's actually doing to determine that? Is it sending a ping out to it, or what? The 'false' alarms happened again twice already today, once at 5:45am (!!!) and then again at 1:00pm. We know the server is fine, because every time we check on it, it is up and running just fine.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I guess that this might be related to VM status in MOB (Managed Object Browser), so let me clarify it for you. I will update this topic as soon as I have any details. Have a great weekend!
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

Any word on this yet?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh...sorry, it slipped out of my mind that I need to update this topic. You can check the reason for vCenter Server alarm in the corresponding VeeamDCS.log files, it looks like Veeam Monitor is suffering from a connectivity problem.

vCenter Server alarm is generated when Monitor is unable to talk to vCenter Server (there is nothing to do with MOB and Events on the vCenter itself)