Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gmorris
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Glen Morris

Replication to DR site

Post by gmorris »

We are currently using the latest version of Veeam 5.0.1 to backup our virtual servers, we would like to reduce our DR restore times by Replicating some servers to a DR site. The size of the VM's is fairly large at the moment and the VIB files currently are around 100GB/day for the backups. I am tring to decide what size of connection I would need and I am guessing a WAN accelerator. Does anyone have experiance replicating Veeam accross a WAN vs. using a SAN replication method, we are currently using an IBM n3300 SAN?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication to DR site

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Glen, if you're thinking about WAN accelerator you can use in your scenario, please have a look at HyperIP to optimize replication. To get more details about HyperIP and other WAN accelerators, kindly please use forum search > http://www.veeam.com/forums/search.php? ... ccelerator
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

Hm.. Does Veeam backup and replication use the:

Dedupe technolgy and Change Block Tracking feature while doing the WAN replication ?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
pwynne2009
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Wynne

Replication to DR Site

Post by pwynne2009 »

[Merged into existing discussion]

Hi,

I am new to Veeam and have just finished a DR Solution. I am now setting up my site to site replications schedules. I performed a test last night on a VM sized at 50GB. I have a layer 2 link between the sites across a 6MB Sysmetrical line (uncontended). I am only seeing a transfer rate of 246K P/S.

Is there any way i can increase this speed? A file copy between sites of 2Gb will come down at almost 2-3MB P/S.

Thanks,
Paul.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

albertwt wrote:Dedupe technolgy and Change Block Tracking feature while doing the WAN replication ?
We do use Changed Block Tracking if you enable this option in the advanced job settings. As for dedupe and compression then only VRB files (rollbacks) are affected by these options.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

pwynne2009 wrote:Is there any way i can increase this speed? A file copy between sites of 2Gb will come down at almost 2-3MB P/S.
Do you possibly use ESXi host as a destination target? Have you tried uploading any file using vSphere Client - Datastore Browser?
albertwt
Veteran

Post by albertwt »

Vitaliy S. wrote: We do use Changed Block Tracking if you enable this option in the advanced job settings. As for dedupe and compression then only VRB files (rollbacks) are affected by these options.
Ah.. that sounds great, because I might install Veeam in the Production VCenter and have it as the source to initiate the transfer.

and one last thing, if somehow we replicate to DR every 12 hours, would that disrupt the underlying VM itself ? or this is normal or do able ?

many thanks for the reply guys.
--
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Most of our customers are doing something like this today. If your vSphere deployment is working normally, this will not disrupt source VM. Thanks!
albertwt
Veteran

Post by albertwt »

Gostev wrote:Most of our customers are doing something like this today. If your vSphere deployment is working normally, this will not disrupt source VM. Thanks!
wow, I love Veeam even more :-)

"Good reliability helps you sleep at night. Good availability helps you keep your job"
--