Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
bjdboyer
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

SQL Cluster and Update3

Post by bjdboyer »

Is there any more specific documentation on setting up the new Windows agent and Update3 for SQL failover clusters?

I have 2 VM's that are a failover SQL cluster. Right now they are being backed up by out legacy application but I would like to move to all Veeam. Looking for some better details on running these new features in that environment. Like backups, retention, restores, scheduling...

Reading in to it I would install the new agent on both nodes of the cluster and then create a failover cluster job?

TIA
Bill Boyer
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: SQL Cluster and Update3

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bill,
bjdboyer wrote:Is there any more specific documentation on setting up the new Windows agent and Update3 for SQL failover clusters?
Here you go. This article explains how to create a failover cluster job.
bjdboyer wrote:Reading in to it I would install the new agent on both nodes of the cluster and then create a failover cluster job?
I'd recommend creating a dedicated protection group clusters. You need to add the cluster account from your Active Directory and rescan this protection group. Veeam B&R should discover all associated cluster nodes and install backup agent. Once done – you can create a failover cluster job with this protection group or cluster set as a source.
bjdboyer
Service Provider

Post by bjdboyer »

OK. I now have my cluster with a file share role defined. all online. I have CLNODE1, CLNODE2 and then my CLVEEAM as the cluster node. My file share is CLSHARE1. I made sure that my veeam domain user is set to full access for all the cluster computer accounts and is in the administrator group on each node. I then create a new active-directory protection group and specify the CLVEEAM computer. The credentials check completes. When the scan runs it just says it's skipping virtual host CLVEEAM, doesn't scan either of the 2 nodes. The protection group doesn't show any computers and only the cluster account with no nodes. I don't have any option to install the agent on the nodes. I've even tried adding the 2 nodes to the protection group. the rescan just says it's skipping all the "virtual hosts'. I even added the CLSHARE1 computer account to the group. Same thing. Skips everything.

What am i doing wrong or missing? Should I create a support ticket as PEBCAK? lol

Bill
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Bill,
bjdboyer wrote:The credentials check completes. When the scan runs it just says it's skipping virtual host CLVEEAM, doesn't scan either of the 2 nodes.l
Is this cluster made from VMs? If yes, edit this protection, go to exclusion step of the wizard and uncheck the box exclude virtual machines and rescan this protection group again.
bjdboyer
Service Provider

Post by bjdboyer » 1 person likes this post

Yep, PEBCAK! unchecked that and I'm a lot further. backup job completed and I'm running through some test restores from the cluster volume.

THANKS!
Bill