Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Create list of VM's with backup, but no longer in vcenter

Post by johannesk »

hi

I've been browsing through the repors in Veeam ONE for this. I don't find any way to list vm's that are no longer running but have backups in veeam.

This will give me oppertunity to clean up in Veeam and evaluate with my team if I can free up some space. I cant configure the jobs to delete vm's that no longer exist, because some vm's will need to exist on backups even though the vm has been deleted from vcenter.

Has anyone here tried to do something like this and found a way to create a list with Veeam ONE report or Powershell command?

regards,
Johannes
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Create list of VM's with backup, but no longer in vcente

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Johannes,

Maybe Orphaned VMs report can help?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Orphaned VMs is for a bit different cases. There is no specific report for the case, but that looks like a good feature request for later versions.
I would suggest to check Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report with Object type = Virtual Machine and filter the VMs.
Thanks!
johannesk
Expert

Post by johannesk »

Shestakov wrote:Orphaned VMs is for a bit different cases. There is no specific report for the case, but that looks like a good feature request for later versions.
I would suggest to check Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report with Object type = Virtual Machine and filter the VMs.
Thanks!
I'm trying the custom data report you suggest. I just create the report with all fields and then export the report to excel.

But I tried some examples of VMs that have backup, but don't exist in vcenter, and I don't find them in the report. Thus the report won't tell me about them.

The manual way I have now to do this is to do this:

In VBR console - Backups - Disk - jobname. Exphand the jobname and see a list of vm's that have backup in the job. If a vm only has got 1 restore point with an old date, it's almost surely deleted from vcenter, but exists only on backup.

From there I can delete the backup if my team evaluates that we don't need the backup of a deleted vm.

It would be nice to have a list of vm's that have been deleted from vcenter but have an old backup in veeam. And then I can review the list with me team and deceide what VMs we can clean up from Veeam repositories.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

There is also VMs Growth report showing VMs added and removed from infrastructure.
So you may get a list of removed VMs and check if there are corresponding backups.
johannesk
Expert

Post by johannesk »

I checked the VMs Growth report. It does show me a list of VMs with the event Removed. But many of those VMs are actually still life and kicking. I guess it's something the vmware adminstrator did perhaps for troubleshooting or something that triggered this remove event.

Thus this report is not what I need.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Well, if VM is alive and working, we are going back to Orphaned VMs which shows VMs that were backed up, but not present in current jobs.
Thanks for your request of deleted VMs backups report.