Management reporting and documentation
ic_mcourtney
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mcourtney

Enhancement request: VM chargeback reports

Post by ic_mcourtney »

It would be great if there was a hybrid of the VM Configuration Chargeback and VM Performance Chargeback reports.

My ideal report would:
  1. Bill based on quantity of vCPUs assigned to the VM rather than GHz consumed (like the VM Configuration Chargeback report does)
  2. Bill based on GB of vRAM assigned
  3. Take VM uptime into consideration (like the VM Performance Changeback report does) so that vCPU and vRAM are only billed when the VM is powered on. vDisk should always be billed, regardless of the VM's power state.
  4. Allow configuration of a per-month price for vCPU, vRAM, and vDisk. I understand that months have a variable number of hours (672 in Feb, 720 in months with 30 days, and 744 in months with 31 days) so this would mean that the corresponding hourly rate would vary based on the number of days in the reporting month
Is it realistic to wish for a report like this to be added to Veeam ONE Reporter?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Enhancement request: VM chargeback reports

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Matty,
If you charge for vCPUs and vRAM assigned, that's not VM Performance, but VM Configuration chargeback. I understand the idea to include uptime parameter to the configuration report, let's see if there are more people asking for the feature, so far your request is the first.
As for per-hour/per-month price, it was initially intended. Are you looking for it in VM configuration chargeback report?
Thanks!
ic_mcourtney
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mcourtney

Post by ic_mcourtney »

Hi Nikita,

Yep, I understand that vCPU and vRAM assignment is VM Configuration not VM Performance. I really wish the VM Configuration report included uptime, and billed accordingly (e.g. if a vCPU costs $10/month and a VM is only in Running state for 50% of the month, the vCPU cost for that VM would be $5 that month).

Best,

Matty
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Got it, thanks for explaination.
Indeed presently the report shows current price. If we add historical information, that will complicate the report.
Imagine you want to charge VM for January by its configuration, taking uptime into account: In the begginning of the months you have VM with 2vCPUs, 4GB of vRAM and 100 GB disk.
What if you change VM configuration in the middle of some day even more several time during a month? We need to keep information about each VM configuration for each hour to keep the report percise. Veeam ONE doesn't keep history of configuration, that will result in increased database size. We may add the feature to the report, but as it will bring significant overhead, let's wait for more similar requests.