Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Shoyu
Novice
Liked: never

Import Previous Backups

Post by Shoyu »

Hello,

I am using Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0.0.700 - Free Edition.

SHORT VERSION: Is there a way to import previous backups into a newly installed copy of Veeam Agent for Windows?

LONG VERSION:
I had a previous Backup Job consisting of Full and Incremental backup files (Backup Job XXX.vbm, *.vbk, *.vib) but my Windows 10 Pro stopped booting yesterday and it had to be reset (essentially it is a fresh install but without deleting existing files on the disk). Veeam Agent for Windows had to be reinstalled again (as all programs had to be reinstalled) and now the backup history is gone. When I try to backup to the same external drive that I use for backups it doesn't detect what's already there, and instead tries to create another Backup Job XXX folder (#2). Can I somehow import the previous backups? The external drive doesn't have enough space to accomodate both the old history and a new full backup. I'd like to keep the old backup in case I can figure out how to get my previous installation of Windows booting again. (I've already tried a Bare Metal Restore but none of the backups would boot successfully - very weird - even the older backups where my system had restarted and booted into Windows fine. My computer hardware hasn't changed so I thought I had faulty hardware but the fresh install seems fine and I've tested my RAM and disks - double weird)

Thank you in advance!
Shoyu
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Import Previous Backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Shoyu!

To continue the existing backup chain you need to point backup job (via Configure backup > Destination step of the wizard) to the location with your previously created backup folder.
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod »

The UUID has changed so a full backup will be performed.
Shoyu
Novice

Post by Shoyu »

Hello Dima, thanks for the welcome and reply!

The backup files are located in Y:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job SKYLAKE\ (files Backup Job SKYLAKE.vbm, *.vbk etc). During the Destination step of the wizard if I enter in Y:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job SKYLAKE\ it will create another sub-folder called "Backup Job SKYLAKE" under Y:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job SKYLAKE\.

If I enter in Y:\VeeamBackup\ it will create a sub-folder called "Backup Job SKYLAKE_1" under Y:\VeeamBackup\, skippy the "Backup Job SKYLAKE" folder that's already there. And if I enter in Y:\ it says it is invalid, asks me to "Specify location".

Any other ideas?
Shoyu
Novice

Post by Shoyu »

Technogod wrote:The UUID has changed so a full backup will be performed.
Thanks, would I fix my problem if I can somehow change my UUID to match what I had previously? (I'll have to google how to do that)
Psychor
Enthusiast

Post by Psychor »

Could someone please elaborate on the UUID? Thanks.