Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
bplancic
Influencer
Liked: never

SQL logs not truncating

Post by bplancic »

Hi,

I have one SQL server VM on Hyper-V cluster with few databases set up with full recovery mode. When backing up log files aren't getting backed up and truncated.

Application processing settings:

Image Image

Isn't this enough?

I tried setting up periodic log backup (VM backup once a day, log backup every 12 hours)

but in that case I get an error

"Failed to prepare guest for SQL Server transaction log backup Details: Failed to connect to guest. Guest OS type: unknown
Transaction logs for the following databases were not backed up: "

According to Veeam KB https://www.veeam.com/kb2029 problem could be another job backing up SQL but there is no other job backing up that VM

Any ideas?

Regards,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SQL logs not truncating

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Do you see any errors in the Windows Event log for that SQL Server when you run the backup job using the "truncate" option only? Are there any errors in the job session when logs truncation is enabled?

Thanks!
bplancic
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by bplancic »

Hi Vitaly,

there are no errors whatsoever (not on SQL server, nor on Veeam server).

SQL server states that the databases were sucessfully backedup. SQL is 2014 SP2 (12.0.5546.0) and the OS is WS 2012 R2.

Regards,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, given that you're using local admin account in the VSS settings of the backup jobs, everything should be ok. Can you open a support case for our engineers to review the log files? Once you do this, please post your case ID in the topic (for future readers tracking).