Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Tos
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Toshihiro Kobayashi

Backup of Oracle Database Appliance

Post by Tos »

Hi

Does Veeam Agent for Linux support backup of Oracle Database Appliance ?
By the below document, Veeam Agent supoorts Oracle Linux.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

If it can support, do you have success story of backup of Oracle Database Appliance ?

Regards
Toshi
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup of Oracle Database Appliance

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There are some existing topics that should answer your question.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Depends on what you refer as "backup of Oracle Database Appliance". Yes, VAL can backup ODA machine, however there will be no application-aware processing since VAL does not support neither Oracle DB, nor RAC. The best option (for the former) would be to use custom pre-freeze script to prepare your database for backup, but that would be still unsupported approach.

Thanks
LeandroT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Leandro Torres

Post by LeandroT »

Hi.
Did you install Veeam Linux Agent on ODA Machine? A customer wants to protect a DB from Oracle Database Appliance v12.2.1.4.0, platform X7-2M.
Thanks!!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
A customer wants to protect a DB
What about using RMAN for the database? That would protect the database and is usually preferred by the Oracle admin.

For application aware processing: As long as the operating system is supported, you could use Veeam Agent for Linux from our side. But I heard, that Oracle does not allow installing kernel modules (which we would do for change-block tracking per default). I also remember discussions about their (software) RAID controller and whether ASM might be used... so "it depends". I did not see any definite "yes" or "no" for block-based agent backup.

For file-based backup without snapshots, I see no technical issues (still not clear whether allowed by Oracle). Alternatively also NAS backup could be used.

Let us know, how it went :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

@LeandroT,

You can try installing and using veeam-nosnap. It does not require veeamsnap kernel module to be installed, and can even utilize Linux native LVM snapshots (if the system is installed atop of LV).

Thanks!
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi,

I would like to summary the possibility how to backup a Oracle Database Appliance (ODA). Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there is some possibility which I didn't mentioned.

-for oracle DB we can do it with veeam oracle plugin as usual

for OS as there is oracle linux:
- it's not possible to add ODA to inventory for VM backup like hyper-v, vmware
- installing Linux agent you can't because if you will modify the kernel it will not be possible to upgrade oracle in the feature - I found this info on oracle forum
- using veeam-nosnap its possible, but its only marked as experimental for feature support, hotifix

In the post from Hannes is mentioned the NAS backup, do someone have more info about it? Someone using it for ODA?
Is there any other option how to backup the OS?

Thank you!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the summary is correct.

NAS backup would be adding the machine as file server to the inventory.

Other option, but not sure whether it works on that ODA appliance: share the data with NFS protocol and do backup of the data via NFS. I would go the first way, sounds easier to me.

Best regards,
Hannes