Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mythumbsclick
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: mythumbsclick

Error: This functionality requires paid Veeam Agent license

Post by mythumbsclick » 1 person likes this post

Hi All

I have Veeam Availability Suite Enterprise edition have been using the free version of the Endpoint Agent to backup a couple of physical servers to the main Veeam Repo. I upgraded to 9.5 Update 3 thinking I could centrally manage the physical servers via the Veeam console. After setting up new Backup Job - Windows Computer I am getting the error "Error: This functionality requires paid Veeam Agent license installed".

So the question is: In order to centrally manage the backup agents do I need additional licenses to my Veeam Availability Suite Enterprise?

A quick Google doesn't answer this.

Note: I did read from here: https://www.veeam.com/availability-suite-pricing.html
"There are no per-agent, per-VM or per-application license fees. The license fee includes one year of maintenance (technical support and product updates)."

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Error: This functionality requires paid Veeam Agent lice

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Yes, in order to centrally manage Agents through Veeam backup server, Agent must be licensed as well (either server or workstation edition). Here is Agent edition comparison for your convenience.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

mythumbsclick wrote:"There are no per-agent, per-VM or per-application license fees. The license fee includes one year of maintenance (technical support and product updates)."
Just to clarify - this is a legacy wording that refers to application agents. And it is still true today (we don't charge for those, they are included at no cost). But I totally agree that this wording is now confusing, and must be adjusted in light of Veeam Agents. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
speedy41
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Speed

Post by speedy41 »

Hi All,

Can I just ask, does the Trial licence allow you to test this via the console? I have just installed the trial licence and added it to the console but when running a backup it fails with the same error. Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Adam
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it does. You just need to get a trial license for agents.
speedy41
Novice

Post by speedy41 »

Hi Gostev,

Thanks for the reply, but as stated I have installed the trial licence for the agents but Veeam backup and replication 9.5 update 3 is still saying it needs a licenced version :(

Adam
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you provide the screenshot of the license dialog in Veeam B&R as well as the exact error message you see?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Adam,

Please double check if that's an agent trial license (you can download agent trial license here, login with your veeam account is required)? Thanks.
speedy41
Novice

Post by speedy41 »

HI All,

I cannot check the licence status of the client now and it says its manged by the "System administrator" I can assure you though I did download the trial key and install it as server version, then added it into Veeam backup and replication and recieved the error. What would be the easiest way to attach a screenshot for you all?

Thanks

Adam
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can use any 3rd party hosting and post a URL to the screenshot over here.
speedy41
Novice

Post by speedy41 »

HI All,

Sorry forr the delay, both screenshots below.. I have since tried to remove the agent and redeply it from the console with the same error..

https://ibb.co/n0CMux
https://ibb.co/dUduEx

Adam
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Adam,

Can you please open Veeam B&R console, click the main menu on top of the ribbon and click License. You will see the license control with the your license information. Do you see Veeam Agent for Windows tab? If not please click Install button, select previously received agent trial license and hit ok. Once done you should see the agent tab on this windows and your problem should be resolved.
speedy41
Novice

Post by speedy41 »

Hi Dima P

Thank you very much for your help that has solved my Issue. The backup is failing still but that is not related to licencing.

Many thanks everyone for all your help.

Adam