Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeroen Jansen

Healthcheck schedule feature request

Post by Djenzen81 »

Dear Veeam Developers,

Situation:
- Veeam Standard.
- 4 different backup jobs start on weekdays at 22:00 and have the possibility to run over night (past 0:00). I use forever incrementals and create a full synthetic VBK every day so I can copy the newest VBK to tape daily for pickup in the afternoon by an 3rd party company. The tape job runs as soon as the backup job finishes (scripted), so it will be finished in the afternoon the next day for pickup.

Because of the forecer incremental setup, I would like to do a montly healthcheck of the backup files after the last backup of the week which starts on a friday at 22:00 so it can take all the time it needs during the weekend, so I've set the healthcheck schedule to friday.
I've noticed that sometimes the healthcheck is run after the thursday job (which could span overnight) and then the tape job will (obviously) start after the healthcheck is completed. But this means that the tape job will not be finished in time for friday pickup. So, I've tried to schedule the healthcheck on a saturday, but then the healthcheck runs after the monday backup job... probably because I don't run a backup job on saturdays...

So it seems that the healthcheck schedule does not take the starting day of the backup job but probably the day at which the backup job is finished which in my case, could be the same day the backup starts or the next day.

Request:
Since the healthcheck can only run directly after a backup job finishes and cannot be scheduled seperately, please let the selected day be the day of the start and not the possible variable end of the backup job.

Apologies for for the long explanation. Hoping my intention / situation is clear.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Djenzen
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Healthcheck schedule feature request

Post by foggy »

Hi Jeroen, thanks for the detailed feedback. Your request is accepted.
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

Post by cpfleger »

Just being curious:
I use forever incrementals and create a full synthetic VBK every day so I can copy the newest VBK to tape daily ...
forever FORWARD incremental? AND in the Backup Job you've set a synthetic full to be created on each day?

Aehm - even when staying with VBR Standard Edition* why don't you change to reverse incremental backup instead?
It's also synthetic (so not better or worse than forever forward incremental from data health point of view), it also has 3 IOs "penalty" and there is only one .vbk file for the File 2 Tape backup job to select (file mask *.vbk - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95)?

Again - just being curious.

Regards!
Claus

* (with Enterprise Ed. you could run virtual full backup to tape: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95)
Djenzen81
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeroen Jansen

Post by Djenzen81 »

why don't you change to reverse incremental backup instead?
I use a ReFS volume as a backup target (I forgot to mention) and understood the ReFS benefits didn't apply to reversed incremental backups. And before using ReFS, the merge process of the vib / vbk files took way too long.
* (with Enterprise Ed. you could run virtual full backup to tape
Enterprise would be awesome to have, but upgrading doesn't get approved by management.