Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Zlatan Andreev
Novice
Liked: never

Pre and Post scripts for an offline DB backup

Post by Zlatan Andreev »

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with scripts that put a DB in an offline state before the backup, and get the DB up after the backup completes.
I'm not interested in the scripts themselves - but rather, implementing them in Veeam.

My idea is the following:
Use a pre-freeze script to put the DB in an offline state, and use a post-backup (not a post-thaw) script to get the DB back up.
Do you think this is a good method, or is there an easier solution?

As far as I am aware the pre-freeze script runs before the backup starts and has to be on the backup server, but will be executed on the client - the client is a linux VM.
So the pre-freeze script will be provided by my Database support colleagues, and i will just copy it on the Veeam backup server.

As far as a post-backup script - I am using a simple putty ssh script on the Veeam backup server to connect to the target VM and execute the script that will get the DB back online - I've tested this method and it works for now.

I still do not have the database scripts themselves, but I am wondering if i'm even working in the right direction, as far as Veeam configuration is concerned.

Any and all input would be appreciated.
Gallus23
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Howard

Re: Pre and Post scripts for an offline DB backup

Post by Gallus23 »

I'm testing this right now. We've managed to get the scripts to run on a centos Vm but I can't see the data on the backup unless I disable the the post-thaw script...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Pre and Post scripts for an offline DB backup

Post by veremin »

Do you think this is a good method, or is there an easier solution?
Post-thaw script sounds more logical, as the db downtime will be minimized. As soon as a snapshot is taken, the db will come back to life, instead of being down for the duration of backup job cycle. So, may I ask you if there any reason not to use post-thaw scripts in your case? Thanks.