Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Did Veeam cause my host to disconnect from vCenter?

Post by cparker4486 »

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user of Veeam and I had a strange thing happen with both of my two hosts shortly after trying to use Backup & Replication. I don't believe that the Veeam software is the cause but I wanted to throw this out there and see what comes back. Both hosts are ESXi 4 U1 running on Dell R710 servers. 1st host has 2 x E5520 and 48GB of RAM and the 2nd host has 2 x X5550 and 48GB of RAM. All VMs are running from a Dell EqualLogic PS4000X SAN.

Two weeks ago I installed B&U (and then later reinstalled it because of a configuration mistake re: SQL) in a VM on my 2nd host and tried to run a job on a VM in my 2nd host. The job didn't work because of the aforementioned SQL problem during installation. Sometime later (about one day) this host stopped communicating with vCenter.

A few days later I reinstalled Veeam (not yet noticing that the host had disconnected from vCenter) and tried running a job on a VM in my 1st host. This job completed successfully (although I still have an issue to work out with my SAN being accessible via the iSCSI Initiator on this box). Sometime later (about a day) the 1st host went "offline" and was disconnected from vCenter. Just like what happened to the first.

Restarting the management network and the management agent on the ESXi hosts didn't do anything. The only thing that has worked so far is to reboot the host itself.

I worked with VMware on this issue and they didn't think that Veeam was the cause of the issue and said that sometimes the hosts can have their virtual memory fill up which can cause something like this. (This explanation is disconcerting because I need this to never happen again.) However, because it happened to both hosts at about the same time I wonder if Veeam may have something to do with it because of the proximity in time between using B&U and a host going offline.
-- Chris
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Re: Did Veeam cause my host to disconnect from vCenter?

Post by TrevorBell »

Hi,

I sometimes have a similar issue where vcentre just kicks me out I don't put this down to veeam just vcentre itself . I have 2 equallogic sans with poweredge 2950 also r710 so my equipment is simular to yours so I would say it's vmware ( I also had vmware support webex in as I couldn't even log into vcentre a few weeks back )

thanks trev
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Did you have to reboot your hosts to get vcenter connect again? VMware wasn't able to do anything in my case.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

The issue sounds like exceeded number of open SOAP connections to the host. This may easily happen if you have multiple VMware Infrastructure Clients connected to the same ESXi (for example, to access some VMs' consoles).
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Hmm... well, vCenter is installed on a physical server and I've got vSphere Client installed on my Win 7 workstation and the VC server. I usually leave the vsphere client open all the time on my workstation just because it's convenient and I don't even open the client on the server anymore.
-- Chris
JUGLANS
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fabio Nocentini

[MERGED] Veeam cause my host to disconnect from vCenter

Post by JUGLANS »

I have a big problem, on my ESXI 4.1.0 i have a VM with installed Veeam Backup, if i activate this VM vCenter Disconnect the host, and the Backup Fails.
To reactivate ESXI i have to shutdown the VM and restat the service of ESXI.
I use Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0.1

Please Help me, is impossible make BACKUP
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Fabio, per VMware support (see 1st post) the issue is not connected with Veeam. The issue is pretty rare, and has only been reported once in 2 years, so this is likely connected to your ESXi hardware, vCenter itself, or may be some unusual Veeam VM settings. I would recommend reinstalling vCenter as a first step by doing clean install on clean OS. Then, creating brand new VM for Veeam and installing Veeam B&R there. If it does not help, you should open support case with VMware, and have them troubleshoot vCenter Server and ESXi logs. Thanks!
JUGLANS
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fabio Nocentini

Post by JUGLANS » 1 person likes this post

UPDATE !!!!

I resolved my problem, post here for help help others.

I uninstall Veeam Monitor from the VM where installed Veeam Backup, restart thew VM and now from 2 day not have the issue.
Now the backup is ok.

The strange thing is that the issue start after some month that installed Veeam Monitor.
Thank you for the suggestion Gostev
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Fabio, thank you for this update. We'll take a closer look at this kind of setup, though I haven't heard anything similar before.
enciknazrin
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nazrin Lagis

Post by enciknazrin »

JUGLANS wrote:UPDATE !!!!

I resolved my problem, post here for help help others.

I uninstall Veeam Monitor from the VM where installed Veeam Backup, restart thew VM and now from 2 day not have the issue.
Now the backup is ok.

The strange thing is that the issue start after some month that installed Veeam Monitor.
Thank you for the suggestion Gostev

Hi Juglan,

do we need to reinstall the veeam monitor after uninstall it from the veeam backup server. Restart the VM you mean VM with veeam backup in it? Cause i have 2 time incident where my vmware infrastructure (3 VM host) got disconnected during veeam starting the backup at different days.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Nazrin,

Thanks for re-using the existing thread. The issue described is no longer relevant. Please contact our support team for assistance with this.

Thanks!