Feature Request - Ignore disk with free space above then

Post by Roberto »

Example:

As per Guest Disk Space Alarm, if one has:

1. 500 VM with disks around 50 GB
2. 100 VM with disk around 1 TB
3. 100 VM with disk around 2 TB
4. 100 VM with disk around 3 TB

- below 10% Alerts is good for VM with 50 GB disks (5 GB is correctly alerted as low threshold)
- but below 10% Alerts is not a good value for other as 102,4 GB of frees space for 1 TB VM disks
so one need to create a custom alerts for 1TB for example to 1% or 0,5% (5 GB or 10 GB).
- but below 1% or 0,5 % is not so good for 2TB an so…

To avoid creating many custom Alerts for free disk space management, would be enough to put a
fixed under limit value, so for example one can specify: use one (probably the standard) “Guest Disk Space” Alert,
but ignoring all alerts for FREE DISK SPACE OVER X, for X one can put custom value, like 10 GB. This avoid complex
custom alerts configuration, difficult to maintain for many VMs and situations.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature Request - Ignore disk with free space above then

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Roberto.
The can already be fulfilled. You may combine conditions of Relative and Absolute free space within an Alarm Rule, you can group VMs with Veeam ONE Business View by the amount of disk size and assign different alarms to each group.
Thanks!
ic_mcourtney
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mcourtney

Post by ic_mcourtney »

Hi Nikita,

I don't this can already be fulfilled by combining relative and absolute conditions within an alarm rule.
I have created an alarm definition like you described (specifically VM State == Running AND Guest Disk Free Space Relative < 10% AND Guest Disk Free Space Absolute < 100GB).

One would expect that the alarm would only be triggered for disks that meet all three conditions, i.e. the disk:
  1. Is attached to a running VM
  2. Has less that 10% free space
  3. Has less than 100GB free space

However this doesn't seem to be the case. Consider the following scenario:
  • VM is Running
  • VM has multiple disks
  • Disk 1 (C:\) has 50.50GB/99.90GB free (52%), which meets criteria 1 and 3, but not 2
  • Disk 2 (D:\) has 134.44GB/1497.87GB free (9%), which meets criteria 1 and 2, but not 3
Because neither of these disks satisfy all three conditions (remember, the alarm is defined with AND, not OR) I would not expect the alarm to trigger, however the alarm does trigger and Veeam ONE reports:
Amount of free disk space "D:\" (9.0%) is below a defined threshold (10.0%). Current free disk space is 134.44 GB.
Amount of free disk space "C:\" (50.5 GB) is below a defined threshold (100.0 GB).
State of virtual machine equals "Running"
I raised support case 02455134 about this, and the representative told me "I have contacted our seniors on this and basically, it is currently by the product design, so the final object is a VM and not the VM's disks, so if you have both conditions true for the VM - the alarm will be triggered, despite the conditions are true for different disks."

The representative also suggested that I post in the forums, and request that the check is changed so that the alarm conditions are evaluated per-disk instead of per-VM.

Regards,

Matty
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Matty,
I am out of office currently, but as far as I remember you can indicate disk name to make the alarm work only for C:\ or other disk, thus I agree with your vision of the alarm logic, we will discuss it within R&D team. Thanks for bringing the point.
P.S. Support engineers do forward customer requests to PM team, but they also recommend to write on forums as here we can start discussion publicly.
ic_mcourtney
Influencer

Post by ic_mcourtney »

Yes, it's possible to scope the guest disk space alarm to a specific disk (the default is *).
However, this would mean that to get the alarm to behave as intended when its defined with an absolute and a relative value, I'd need to create 26 individual alarms (for disks A:\ -> Z:\) -- If I were to take this approach I'm not sure how I'd define alarms for linux guests
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Correct, that's why we will change the alarm behavior in next product versions.
Thanks!
ic_mcourtney
Influencer

Post by ic_mcourtney »

Wonderful! Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome.
Once you have a question, don't hesitate asking.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

[MERGED] Guest Disk Space customization

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi

I'm trying to customize the Guest Disk Space rule by adding a second rule for absolute disk space to warn when there is less than 5GB and Crit when less than 2.5GB and then join that to the default rule with an AND clause.

My intention here is that if any disk has less than 10% of it's disk space free and has 5GB or less disk space free I'll get a warning, however thats not how it's working.

What I instead get is that linked rule applied across all disks in the VM, so if C: has less than 5GB free but still have more than 10% free space, and D drive has less than 10% free space but has more than 5GB free it still causes an alert. Basically I expected the linked ruleset to be applied per disk, but it appears to be applied to all disks in a single pass.

Any way to fix this?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Dave,
For now the workaround is to create condition for each disk name.
Thanks