Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wla
Novice
Liked: never

Backup to offline/removable storage

Post by wla »

Hi,
I found some topics in this forum about backup to removable storage by copy the backup target directory to mobile (USB) disk(s) with explorer or tools like robocopy.
The problem is that the changed full recovery file (.vbk) will change and robocopy or other tools copy a huge file although only a small part of this file changed.

What about this idea: let veeam manage the offline disk(s).
Additional to the periodically scheduled backup jobs with persistent storage target, configure manual backup jobs (incremental synthetic), which will be started manually after plug the mobile disk(s). So veeam know what is to do and it will do this more quickly.

Does this will work? (I never worked before with veeam, but from now I will do :-)

Thank you in advance
Walter
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Re: Backup to offline/removable storage

Post by joergr »

Hi,

ok, you are trying to be 101% backup-sure, right ;-)? So, yes, generally spoken it would be possible to let a second job run manually to some external storage.

But a way smarter solution for what you try to accomplish would be to create a second job as a replication job to another esx/i machine, thus you have your vbX backup files created on your backup server and you have the replica ready to start on another esx/i machine.

best regards,
Joerg
wla
Novice

Post by wla »

The reason for this is that we have many customers with only one virtualization server. From performance point of view this is enough, for availability they have 4h inside support - also acceptable.
But the backup infrastructure (e.g. low cost NAS) is installed in the same server room and in case of disaster that is a problem.

So I will recommend to have one or two USB disks which will be connected from time to time and served by a manually job. I prefere to do this directly with Veeam Backup (synthetic) instead of tools like robocopy or explorer (copying the target of Veeam Backup). I hope this will result in quickly incremental backups.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Walter, have you considered using rsync to sync your VBK file with an offsite storage as this would also result in quick incremental runs?
wla
Novice

Post by wla »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Walter, have you considered using rsync to sync your VBK file with an offsite storage as this would also result in quick incremental runs?
Vitaly, why not Veeam Backup? Is there any issue to configure more than one job with same source and different targets?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, there are no issues with that. The reason why I suggested rsync is that I didn't want to extend your backup window with another job. If configuring a second backup job works for you then feel free to go with this option. Thanks!
hagepat
Veeam ProPartner

Post by hagepat »

Hi Vitaliy,

Do you have good resources to find more information about rsync. We have same problems at customer sites. Only 1 ESX servers and 1 NAS for backup in the same room.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Good start would be to search this forum for rsync
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Here is one of the numerous existing topics: Sync Master Backups to Wan in Block Level