Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Restore to a different HW

Post by marius roma »

I need to unterstand if and how Veeam Agent for Windows allows restoring a full backup to a different HW.
Is there any difference among versions and between the free and the licensed version?
In which conditions can I say that Veeam Agent for Windows allows restoring a full backup to a different HW (like other products do)?
Regards
Marius
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Re: Restore to a different HW

Post by Technogod »

There are differences which are outlined here https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21

If you are restoring using windows 10 you should be fine. Earlier OS's would require sysprep to be run. I use Acronis Universal Restore when I am restoring to different hardware on earlier OS's.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Purely from a bare metal recovery, there are not really differences in the free version versus the paid versions. You can recover to different HW but you need to take a few things into account:

* When you created the Veeam recovery media on the original HW, you will have embedded the specific drivers for that HW into the media.
* When you use the Veeam recovery media on the new HW, it might be that some hardware devices are not recognized (network/ USB/ DISK). So have those drivers ready because you can use our recovery media to load those drivers.
* Last but not least, the OS/ files/ apps will be recovered but you might have leftovers of previous hardware (drivers/ programs). It might need some "cleaning-up" work and an additional reboot (or two) to have it finalized

Hope it helps
Mike
woodslanding
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: eric m

Post by woodslanding »

I almost successfully restored a machine running on AMD to an intel machine. But I am still getting rare freezes, which are pretty clearly related to the processor difference:

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (9c)
A fatal Machine Check Exception has occurred.

and later:
SYMBOL_NAME: intelppm!C1Halt+2

MODULE_NAME: intelppm

IMAGE_NAME: intelppm.sys

IMAGE_VERSION: 10.0.20348.1450

STACK_COMMAND: .thread ; .cxr ; kb

BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET: 2

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x9C_RENDEZVOUS_GenuineIntel_STACKPTR_ERROR_intelppm!C1Halt

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks!!
-eric
woodslanding
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: eric m

Post by woodslanding »

I am going to try sysprep, which I now see is mentioned further up this thread.