Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
arsprod
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

high cpu usage

Post by arsprod »

I'm trying to run two veeam backup jobs at the same time and no matter how much I play with vm settings I can't get the machine to run backups with less than 95+% cpu usage. Currently the vm is Win 2k3 server, 2 cpu, 4gb RAM backing up to windows NAS share (backup speed is great btw - averaging 200+ mb/s). Backup settings are reverse incremental, optimal compression, lan target, no application-aware image processing, no indexing.

I really need to be able to run two jobs simultaneously - what can I do?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: high cpu usage

Post by Gostev »

You need to make sure your server meets minimum system requirements, right now it does not (minimum 4 cores or 4 vCPUs required). You may want to review the corresponding section of the Release Notes document provided with your download.

Otherwise, reduce the compression level (not recommended, as this will affect backup size very significantly). CPU cycles are cheap, storage is expensive - there is simply no sense to sacrifice compression over CPU usage.
arsprod
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

Re: high cpu usage

Post by arsprod »

aha! I thought min specs were 2 vcpus. I'll increase to 4, though in this setup cpu cycles are probably more expensive than storage! thanks!

Aaron