Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
denit
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Denit Support

Backup server (VM or physical) outside of connected infra

Post by denit »

I am not sure how to put this so everyone can understand, but ill give it a shot.

First of all i find the documentation on Veeam and its possibilities sometimes obscure.
I have looked into manuals and this support site many times.

The case:

A customer wants to use our Veeam backup environment.
However, this is a server that is not on the vsphere environment that is connected to our Veeam infra.
This server is somewhere on the internet.

The Veeam manual states that it is possible to use Veeam agent to use a repository.
But i am pretty sure they mean that its only possible when the server is inside the domain, not when it is outside of the domain.

Is it possible in any case to offer a Veeambackup for servers that are somewhere on the internet?
I looked into cloudconnect, but that might also not be what we are looking for.
What i understood so far, this is only useful if the other party has a Veeamserver installed, not just a local Veeam agent.
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Backup server (VM or physical) outside of connected infr

Post by tdewin »

Cloud Connect indeed allows you to backup to a central location. However if you are looking for central management of the Veeam Agents for Windows in the cloud, take a look at Veeam Availability Console. It builds on top of Cloud Connect and allows Service Providers to do central management of Veeam Agents for Windows and Veeam Backup & Replication servers that have been installed at the customer side.

Also notice that if you are a service provider, please go to user control panel > users groups and apply to join the Cloud Provider Group. This group has access to a separate forum dedicated to service providers
denit
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Denit Support

Re: Backup server (VM or physical) outside of connected infr

Post by denit »

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the quick reply, i will look into Veeam Availability Console.
I had already started installing a server for use with cloud connect.

I will join the Cloud Provider Group, good tip!

Sincerely,

Stefan.