ailitsupp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hendri Marzuki

Backup copy to Synology NAS

Post by ailitsupp »

Hi Experts,

I am quite new with Veeam and NAS.

I have a Veeam daily backups (sets by external support) on SAN which then backup-copy to Synology NAS. On the NAS is the backups is set to: daily merged to monthly, monthly to quarterly. It seems after it merged from the daily to monthly, it deleted the daily backups (which already merged to monthly) and these sitting in the #recycle folder in NAS. After a while, the NAS starts to low in space. I found out, only if I delete the items in the #recycle folder it creates more space for the NAS.

Technically, I can delete the items in this #recycle folder (since Veeam automatically deletes them after merged them) to free up more space. Am I correct? Should I turn off this recycle bin for this Veeam folder (specific folder for Veeam backups)?

Thanks in advance!!
rhys.hammond
Veeam Software
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Rhys Hammond

Re: Backup copy to Synology NAS

Post by rhys.hammond » 1 person likes this post

Yep, go ahead and empty the recycle bin. I'd imagine you will be having to empty that recycle bin quite a lot so I'd disable the recycle bin on the Veeam repo folder on the NAS if I were you.
Veeam Certified Architect | Author of http://rhyshammond.com | Veeam Vanguard | vExpert
ailitsupp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hendri Marzuki

Re: Backup copy to Synology NAS

Post by ailitsupp »

Thank you so much for your confirmation and advise. Much appreciated!
Yes, will take sometime to clear up the space as I have about 13T in the recycle bin.