Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mpark
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Min Park

Exporting tape to specific I/E port

Post by mpark »

Hi all,
Question: I'm looking to see if there is a way to choose which I/E slot the tape gets exported to, or at least manipulate the slot order placement
I've been searching around the web and forums but could not find much information regarding this.

Little background,
We have a tape library with a dedicated magazine for I/E (20 slots).
The minor inconvenience is that when a tape is exported, the library will always export it to the inner side of the magazine, requiring me to pull the magazine all the way out to retrieve a single tape.

For example, I/E port on the library is laid out this way
01 | 02 | 03 | 04
05 | 06 | 07 | 08
09 | 10 | 11 | 12
13 | 14 | 15 | 16
17 | 18 | 19 | 20

The exported tape will always be placed into I/E port 01. Veeam job log also states something like "Exporting tape $Tape from Slot 1 to I/E port 1". Veeam can obviously tell which slot is available and chooses the empty I/E port.
As more tape gets exported, the next tape will be placed in I/E port 2, then 3 and so on, in the order of 01->20.

Back to the question, is there a way we can arbitrarily change the I/E slot the tape will get placed? Or at least the reverse the order so the export goes from 20 -> 01?

Thanks,
MP
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Exporting tape to specific I/E port

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mpark,

Unfortunately, Veeam B&R does not provide this functionality. Is it possible to change the I/E port order via tape library control panel? Thank you.
mpark
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Min Park

Re: Exporting tape to specific I/E port

Post by mpark »

Sadly no, but thanks for the response.