Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Tarquinnz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan Allen

Advice on what backup to use.

Post by Tarquinnz »

Hi Folks

I have three VM Ware servers running ESXi 3.5 Update 5. I would like to complete daily backups of all Virtual Server images to an internal NAS device with a weekly/monthly backup to USB hard drives.

Essentially I would like to use Veeam software to backup running virtual machines. I have downloaded and installed the free Veeam product Veeam Backup & FastSCP but after reading the FAQ it says it will not work on running VMs. I have successfully backed up a couple of VMs and bought them back up on test server.

What do you suggest ?

Thanks

Dan ( New Zealand)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Advice on what backup to use.

Post by Gostev »

Tarquinnz wrote:I have downloaded and installed the free Veeam product Veeam Backup & FastSCP but after reading the FAQ it says it will not work on running VMs
Hi, what FAQ are you referring to please? Also, if your question is about free FastSCP product, please create topic in the corresponding forum. This forum is for Veeam Backup & Replication product.
Tarquinnz
Novice

Post by Tarquinnz »

Forum I refer to is http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5304

I am not really refering to any particular product but looking for advice on what product I should be using.

As the Veeam product manager, what advice can you give me as to what product I should use to achieve the goals in my orginal post ?

Thanks in advance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

To be able to process running VMs, you need Veeam Backup & Replication product. The FAQ referenced is for this product, so I'd really like to know where exactly in this FAQ did you read that the product "will not work on running VMs", because I would like to correct this. I will much appreciate if you could please quote the exact phrase. Thank you.
Tarquinnz
Novice

Post by Tarquinnz »

Thanks Gostev

Section in FAQ was under job type and is quoted here..

Q: What are File Copy jobs designed for?
A: File Copy jobs are designed to copy regular files (such as ISO, or VMDK) to and from hosts or any other storage, and can be used for various administrative tasks. File Copy jobs do not support processing of running VMs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hmm, I don't get it. Are you saying you were in fact able to use File Copy job to copy VMDK files belonging to running VM?