Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Veeam One help determine proper vCPU & RAM for a VM?

Post by HendersonD »

I am just about to install Veeam ONE for the first time. I think some of my VMs have resources they do not need. In other words, too many vCPUs or too much RAM has been assigned to a VM. Can Veeam ONE help me identify which VMs have more resources than they need?
s_t
Influencer
Full Name: Sebastian Talmon

Re: Veeam One help determine proper vCPU & RAM for a VM?

Post by s_t » 1 person likes this post

You will find such recommendations in the "Oversized VMs" report in Veeam ONE:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/r ... tml?ver=95
--Sebastian
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Sebastian is correct. Besides I would suggest other optimization reports such as Idle VMs and Powered Off VMs to free up even more resources.
Thanks!
HendersonD
Expert

Post by HendersonD »

I ran the oversized VMs report after two weeks of activity. I was surprised at the number of VMs that Veeam One says are oversized. When a vendor gives you a spec for a certain amount of CPUs and RAM and Veeam One tells you something completely different, whom to believe? Two examples might help
  1. We are a K12 school district so half of our data is files/folders. We have two Windows File Servers that both have 4 vCPUs and 16GB Ram. Veeam One is telling me I can operate either server with 1 vCPU and 2GB of RAM. This seems awfully low for a file server
  2. We have two Ruckus virtualized wireless controllers. This particular product can only be run virtualized, they are installed from an ova file. Ruckus says a controller needs to have 8 vCPUs and 32GB RAM. Veeam One is telling me I can operate these with 2 vCPUs and 12GB of RAM
Nearly 3/4 of my VMs are oversized according to Veeam One. Thoughts?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

The report gives you recommendations based on historical performance data. If you have VM with 4 vCPU, but avg. CPU usage is 5% with peak usage 10%, the report will recommend you to assign 1 vCPU instead of four. However, you should take vendor's recommendations as well.
In your case I would try to slightly decrease amount of CPU and memory first, in first case I would assign 2 vCPUs and 4 GB of RAM and make sure applications work fine. Same for the second VM.
Thanks!