Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lukejf
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luke

Reverese Incremental

Post by lukejf »

Hey Guys
Just wondering, how much data is transferred over the network during a reverse incremental, Incremental backup. If looking at the console is it only the transferred data or is there other network traffic based on reading changes etc.
The reason i ask is we are moving to a datacentre with a 1Gbps network connection. Whilst we are replicating over all the VM's we would like to keep our veeam server at our office backing up to tape. Just trying to work out if we are going to have backup delay issues. We are currently running all our servers on a 1gbps link now however the bottleneck will change from switched ports to a single link
Cheers
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Reverese Incremental

Post by Shestakov »

Hey, Luke.

Here is a short explanation of job statistics:
Data size — total size of all VM disks processed by the job.
Read — amount of data read from the datastore by the source-side Data Mover Service prior to applying compression and deduplication.
Transferred size is the amount of data the backup job transferred to the destination.

Amount of transferred space is same for forward and reverse increments. Additional metadata should not be an issue.
Thanks!
baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

[MERGED] what some parameters mean

Post by baber »

Dear all
Hi

i read 3 items in veeam report and understand this :

Processed : i understand this is the size of data that is on the disk and veeam read that for example if my dizk size on vm is :150G and for processed show : 50G means just 50G of vm disk has data and 100G is free

Read : Data size had to transfer to backup repository before compress and deduplication

Transferred : Total data size that has been transfered to Backup repository after compress and deduplication

BR
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your post has been merged into existing discussion, check the explanations provided above (Nikita talks mostly about job statistics, but same principals apply to daily report) and ask additional questions (if any left). Thanks.
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks
i read that but realy expaination is not cleared is you ask my question and say my imagines are correct or not
so thansk
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Processed is based on the total size of all VM disks added to the job. So during the job it is the amount of actually processed data, which in the end of the job should be equal to the total provisioned size of all VMs. Read is what actually read out of these processed data, since there are empty blocks that are skipped, etc. You're correct about the transferred count.
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks
but not clear answer . can you say me
1 - for example my vm disk size is 100G but 60G of my vm disk has data now process will be show 100GB or 60GB ?
2 - read is total data transfered before compressed
3-Transferred : total data transfered after compressed

BR
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

1. It should be 100GB
2. Correct
3. Correct

Amount of data read from the source VM by a backup proxy
Amount of data transferred over the network from a backup proxy to a backup repository