Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: MCU Networking

Deleted config after upgrade to 9.5 U3 and VAW 2.1

Post by MCU_Networking »

I trusted Veeam too much. My configurations of my 18 physical servers are gone after I upgraded to B&R 9.5 U3 and upgraded the agents to 2.1.

First off I am pretty annoyed that it didn't "just work" after upgrading. I only found out after the fact that you need to delete any existing Jobs you have for VAW and re-add in the new style. That is going to take a lot of work. Especially because a Tech told me you can't map the backups. Big fail on this in my opinion.

The steps I took were as follows:
1.Upgraded Veeam ONE.
2.Upgraded Veeam Server. This went good, however upon signing into Console it failed to update all components. Created a case, tech got it resolved, moving on.
3.Upgraded the B&R console on my PC.
4.Manually went to all 18 physical servers and upgraded each agent to 2.1 via the .exe file, all went good.
5.Sign in to B&R, no edit options on the VAW jobs.
6.Call in a ticket again. Told tech I am wanting to manage agents from B&R but I don't see any change after updating. Tech from B&R is not exactly sure why at first. After a few minutes asks if I have a protected group yet. I say no.
7.B&R tech over the phone, guides me to create a protected group and add the servers to it, did that. Still no edit.
8.B&R tech send me to VAW tech.
9.VAW tech tells me yes you have to create entirely new jobs, cannot map backups and cannot roll over data.
10.I say damn that sucks, that is really annoying, I would have thought the genius's, and no I am not being sarcastic, I literally mean the smart people at Veeam would have found a way to get them to be managed by B&R without completely redoing everything.
11.He basically says there is nothing I can do, I give up and say, well I will just have to do that later. End call.
12.I decide to go to one of the VAW installations to run it, to test a backup to make sure once starts off and runs before I leave.
13.CRAP. Configuration gone. Icon not in system tray anymore, can't open the software locally affectively because now it is "Managed" by the B&R.
14.Call Veeam back. Happen to get same Tech. Tells me casually (in my opinion, I'm really annoyed at this point, so he could have been remorseful, not sure) yes it will wipe out the configuration. ???????????
15.Tech again tells me there is basically nothing I can do. Sends me the follow article and tells me it might work:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2321

16. Where I am at now. The above links seems to possibly work up until I need to run an actual backup. I get the following error:
Error: in [VctSetDeviceCopyCtInformation at Step [4] Agent failed to process method {VeeamVolumeCt.CreateVctFile }

I am stuck now, debating on whether to completely start from scratch or try and get help salving something until I have more free time to start from scratch since apparently that is what one has to do. It seems odd I would have to start completely over, I feel like I would have seen another forum post or two about this issue.
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast

Re: Deleted config after upgrade to 9.5 U3 and VAW 2.1

Post by MCU_Networking »

At the moment I was able to get things to work, with some modifications to the process and notes. I had to completely reinstall the agents again. As in uninstall and reinstall. This is because they are being "owned/managed" by the B&R and the only way I could find to break the connection was manually uninstall from Control Panel. This actually brought the config back from the databases that were local. Also, in the link above it mentions once you save it back to the right Repository the backups will show up in the correct "Disk" section, however they will also stay in the "Disk (Imported)" section until the job actually runs. So it confused me for a bit.

If someone ends up having a chance to respond, am I thinking wrong that there needs to be a heads up somewhere when upgrading, or the Tech should have warned me about it (wiping the configs)?
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod »

After upgrading from 9.5 U2 to 9.5 U3 and VAW 2.0 to 2.1. All ten of my Agents functioned properly. I didn't loose any Agent configurations until I tried to manage my Agents with B&R. I had two Agents with the same Windows UUID and it confused B&R. Both of those Agents configurations were lost. There is another post where the same Server BIOS UUID's were confusing B&R when using B&R to manage Server's.
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast

Post by MCU_Networking »

I didn’t see an edit option on my phone. Just saw a case number is required. I had 2: 02458752 & 02458467.
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast

Post by MCU_Networking »

Isseu is resolved now. Had another issue where the jobs were disabled but I din't know where they were disabled. Turns on the is a new(er) setting on the Agent themselves under the Settings tab. For some reason these options were checked by Veeam itself during me fixing the issues above.
itrabbit
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dunleavy

Post by itrabbit »

MCU_Networking wrote:Isseu is resolved now. Had another issue where the jobs were disabled but I din't know where they were disabled. Turns on the is a new(er) setting on the Agent themselves under the Settings tab. For some reason these options were checked by Veeam itself during me fixing the issues above.

Sorry what issue is resolved, are we able to import the configuration from the Agents into B&R console with out having to reconfigure them?

or are you saying the issue of going back to standalone agents is now resolved and your config has now reappeared?
MCU_Networking
Enthusiast

Post by MCU_Networking »

Since the local databases were still there, when I was able to get B&R to relinquish control of the agent after reinstall, the config showed up. So I just had to go in and resave and schedule them. With one caveat, for some reason they were all disabled under the Settings tab, so I had to re-enable there.