Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GrdLock
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle M

What would be the better way to get this data off site?

Post by GrdLock »

We'll be starting a full backup off-site soon into a storage unit in a datacenter. It's 22TB of VMs, with a 1Gb VPN to the datacenter. The on-site backups are stored on a Data Domain appliance. I know the easiest thing would probably be to have another Data Domain at the datacenter and replicate that. However that's not an option. The storage unit at the datacenter will just be a basic SAN, nothing special. So these are my thoughts:

1) Run my normal on-site backup jobs, then run a completely separate job using WAN accelerator to the datacenter.
2) Run normal on-site backup jobs, then a backup copy job to the datacenter.
3) Run normal on-site backup jobs, then a backup copy job to the datacenter using a WAN accelerator. I'm not sure about this one, haven't really looked into it. Can WAN accelerator even be used with a backup copy job? Will it offer and better performance?

Another question is will the WAN accelerator even be useful with a 1Gb WAN connection? Or would it be better to forego the WAN accelerator all together?

I'm on a crunch to get this done so don't have a lot of time to do testing with various different configurations to find the best option so would like some insight as to what that might be beforehand.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: What would be the better way to get this data off site?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Kyle and welcome to the community!
3) Run normal on-site backup jobs, then a backup copy job to the datacenter using a WAN accelerator. I'm not sure about this one, haven't really looked into it. is the best of 3. Primary jobs don't support WAN acceleration + it's better to copy backups than to perform another one just to have a copy.
Another question is will the WAN accelerator even be useful with a 1Gb WAN connection? Or would it be better to forego the WAN accelerator all together?
Indeed WAN accelerator is more effective on slow links, however, having 22TB of data it may speed up the process as well. I would give it a try.
Thanks!
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Post by SBarrett847 »

GrdLock wrote: Another question is will the WAN accelerator even be useful with a 1Gb WAN connection? Or would it be better to forego the WAN accelerator all together?
Don't bother with the WAN accell in this case. Even on a 100mb line I never saw any benefits.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Another question is will the WAN accelerator even be useful with a 1Gb WAN connection?
Only if you're concerned with traffic savings. Thanks.