Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nmesteller
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: neal mesteller

Oracle 11g restore from vss veeam backup

Post by nmesteller »

hello
We recently purchased Veeam and are attempting to use the VSS option to backup and restore a oracle 11 g database
The backup appears to run ok - however when after the restore the oracle database is left in an unusable state - our DBA has found the the oracle files
( excuse me for being vague, as I am not a DBA ) were left in begin backup mode - they do not see end backup that normall is written during Oracle hot backups that they perform - oracle also logs an ora-10873.

Any ideas what could be wrong - oracle vss witer is installed and functional - the backup was created without the vmwaretools quiesce option ( this was turned off)
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Oracle 11g restore from vss veeam backup

Post by tsightler »

Well, seeing that this is the actual backup, no, you wouldn't see the "end backup" statement. The workflow is roughly as follows:

1. VSS puts Oracle in backup mode
2. Snapshot is take <---- this is what gets backed up
3. VSS remove Oracle from backup mode

So, if you restore, you'll basically get a system that was in "hot backup" mode when the backup was taken. The backup is left in this state so that you can apply additional archive logs before opening the database. If you don't have additional archive logs I'd suggest running "ALTER DATABASE END BACKUP" and attempting to open the database.
nmesteller
Novice

Post by nmesteller »

Our DBA attempted to sign on to SQL to run the Alter Database End Backup but was unable to sign on - he kept getting insufficent privilege - after numerous failed attempts to sign on to the database I removed the windows 2003 server from the domain ( put it in workgroup ) re-booted - re-joined the domain - after the re-boot the database came up.
Our DBA cannot explain why this worked - neither can I - SQL authentication is not tied to Active directory.
We are currently re-storing once more to see if we can duplicate this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Computer account's password changed in AD since the time when the backup was made?
nmesteller
Novice

Post by nmesteller »

yes AD has been restored in our lab probably 5 months age -should probably refresh it - we are using the oracle listner and when the DBA attempted to sign on to SQL using the oracle admin account he was using the listner - once this failed he force the sql signon to stay local and he was able to open the database - again sorry for being vague concerning the Oracle piece I am not a DBA. This is how we figured out that something was wrong with the authentication across the network. Veeam is working as advertised, oracle database is up in restore mode - awaiting DBA to apply transaction logs if needed, once complete we were able to enter the alter database end backup.
Thanks for everyones help -