Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Unknown partitions on VEEAM server

Post by 1-0-1 »

Noticed on our VEEAM 5 server we have two partitions (one 40GB and one 400GB). The partition are both primary partition with no drive letters specified. The VEEAM server is virtualized (ESXi 4.1) and running Windows 2008 R2.

Would this be by any chance created by VEEAM?
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Re: Unknown partitions on VEEAM server

Post by Bunce »

During a backup job, the disks of the VM being backed up get mounted on the Veeam Server (when using Virtual Appliance mode), so thats expected behaviour.

If however they are present when no backup jobs are in progress, its possible they were not removed correctly. If you open the vSphere client and view the properties of the VBR VM, you should be able to identify where those VMDK's are from, and if required remove them (don't delete) from the VM using the vSphere client.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Bunce is correct. The first thing I would check is VM configuration settings. By the way, I believe there should be Windows Event logs regarding those two disks, could you please check them out?
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Post by 1-0-1 »

Spot on - I am indeed using VEEAM in Virtual Appliance mode. Had a quick look at my event log (even VEEAM windows event log) and could not find anything. I am sure this is not a trainsmash and will verify once the replication/backups are finished.