Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
giluccn
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam design for branch offiice

Post by giluccn »

Hello,
we are going to implement a new backup solution with Veeam, our current scenario is the following:
HQ with 5 esxi host in cluster with about 50 VM
10 Branch offices with 1 esxi with 2 VM and dedicated nas for backup repository

The idea is to install Veeam on the HQ and 1 Veeam proxy VM on the branch office
On the branch office the backup job will use the dedicated nas and the replication job will copy the backup to our HQ for Disaster Recovery

What is not clear for me, is what happen if we lose the entire esxi server on the branch office, included the veeam proxy? The failover plan will start automatically all the VM’s on the DR site and the remote user will be able to work? What about the IP remap feature? It will work without any running veeam component on the branch side?

Thank you for any suggestion
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam design for branch offiice

Post by Shestakov »

Hello and welcome to the community!
On the branch office the backup job will use the dedicated nas and the replication job will copy the backup to our HQ for Disaster Recovery
Do you mean backup copy or replication job?
What is not clear for me, is what happen if we lose the entire esxi server on the branch office, included the veeam proxy? The failover plan will start automatically all the VM’s on the DR site and the remote user will be able to work? What about the IP remap feature? It will work without any running veeam component on the branch side?
Regarding replication, if you loose branch ESXi with VMs, Replica Failover will take place. It will work without anything on branch side. Re-IP depends on the replication job settings.
Afterwards you can choose if you want to perform permanent failover or failback.
giluccn
Novice

Post by giluccn »

Hello,
thank you for your reply!

I’m talking about replication job, so if I understand our architecture could be the following:
HQ: Veeam Backup & Replication server
Branch Office: 1 ESXi Server with our VM’s, one of these VM with Veeam Guest Interaction Proxy, Remote Proxy, Repository, Mount Server and Wan Accelerator

In this scenario we will be able to backup on local NAS our branch VM’s , replicate all the VM’s to our HQ and in case of fail we can perform a failover for one or all branch VM’s starting them on our HQ
Just another question, we need to have the same ESXi version on both side (Source and target)?

Thanks again!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Source and target ESXi hosts may be of different versions.
Since you do both backup and replication, I would suggest to get familiar with Remote Replica from Backup feature.
Thanks!
giluccn
Novice

Post by giluccn »

Ok, many thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome.
Once you have a question, don't hesitate asking.