Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Re: Rename backup job?

Post by cffit »

Will the backup copy job file names change to the new name?

Also, I see the local backup file names change after an active full, but the metadata file doesn't change names. I apologize if this has already been addressed, but so I am clear, there is or isn't a way to change this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Backup copy job file names will be preserved. As for VBM, it is recommended to leave it intact, renaming it may result in further issues.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Just to specify,
If you change backup job`s name, backup copy files names will be preserved, however if you change backup copy job name, names of new files will also be changed.
Thanks!
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit »

So it seems like the best way to go about all this if you want everything to be clean and named correctly is to create a new backup job and new backup copy job that are named correctly. Doing renames after the fact seems like it never gets everything named appropriately. Correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to clean everything up, then creating new jobs could be a way to go.
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

[MERGED] : How to rename a backup folder?

Post by Blue407 »

Morning all

I have a Backup repository on D:\ called 'Backup' as per default.

I have renamed a couple of my jobs as I;ve changed my naming convention, however the Backup folder contained within D:\Backup still have the old job name as the folder name.
How can I rename these?

Thanks in advance :)
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: How to rename a backup folder?

Post by nielsengelen »

Please find the answer in this topic or in the corresponding KB article. Thanks.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Re: How to rename a backup folder?

Post by Blue407 »

Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction :)
AHMacD
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Luke MacDonald

Post by AHMacD »

Hello.

I renamed a backup job and now when we go to restore servers in that job, it uses the old job name. The group wants it to match. The instructions here seems fairly simple but I have no option to "remove from configuration" when I am looking at the files. Delete is my only option. Is it safe to just skip that first step and rename the job? It's split over two different Exagrid nodes since we are using Scale-out repositories so I assume I would rename both. Thanks for help.
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

[MERGED] Feature Request: Update Configuration Database

Post by spiritie »

Hi Veeam

It would be nice to have function added to update the configuration database after renaming a backup job (or any time of job) To be more exact I'm talking about the "Job Name" you can see under "Disk"

Currently when renaming a backup job the configuration database does not update this name, and the only way I've found to fix this is to:
- Remove from configuration
- Rescan the repository where the backup data resides
- Open the backup job, and map it to "old name of the backup job", and click finish

First after all of these time consuming steps, the name under "Disk" updates.

We frequently rename jobs, move jobs and so on, and I don't always wanna perform these steps after changes to backup jobs (or remember), because of the time it takes to do these steps.
A bonus would be, if it could also rename the folder and the backup file names (if not per-backup-file) to the new backup job name.

And ideal place for this button would be under "Disk", under "Properties" in the "Backup Properties Window"

I really hope this is something that can be implemented into VBR, and it is something that has annoyed me quite a lot in Veeam since I started using the product.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

AHMacD wrote:The instructions here seems fairly simple but I have no option to "remove from configuration" when I am looking at the files. Delete is my only option.
Please check whether you're looking in the right place.
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

[MERGED] Renaming a Job Cleanly

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

I want to rename a backup job "cleanly" - meaning I don't want the rename to break backups at all, and I would like to also rename the folder used by the backup to match the new name. Here is a rough sequence of steps I've mapped out, but I'm not sure if this will work as I expect. Does anyone have insight or recommendations on this?
  • In the Veeam B&R GUI, right-click the job and enter the new name on the Name screen.
  • Allow a new folder with the new name to be created the next time the backup runs.
  • Move the original files from the old to the new backup folder.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Renaming a Job Cleanly

Post by Gostev »

I'm pretty sure job folder and files will keep their names, and cannot be changed in principle.
So, you can just rename the job without worrying about everything else.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Renaming a Job Cleanly

Post by veremin »

This KB article might also help. Thanks!
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com » 1 person likes this post

Thank you Gostev and veremin! The KB article has the answers I need. Thanks again!