Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Mistermiller
Lurker
Liked: never

Need help: Backup to disk to tape does not work as expected

Post by Mistermiller »

Hi,

I am using Veeam Backup and Replication since two years now but using the backup to tape option is new to me as I did not use a tape drive with Veeam before.
From other backup software I am quite used to configure B2D2T (backup to disk to tape) but I cannot get it working with Veeam.

I have one backup to disk job which is running daily at 10pm backing up all my VMs to a repository in a NAS. It will keep restore points for 60 days with synthetic fulls on Saturdays.

My second jop is a GFS tape job which is configured to run on Sundays (four weeks, 12 month) the source is my repository to that it should simly copy the full backup from Saturday.

Unfortunately this does not work as expected as the backup to tape job does not find any valid backups and simply does not write anything to tape at all.

If I start the tape job manually and select "Active full, weekly" it runs just fine.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction so that I can configure the job to work as expected.
Thank you.

Kind regards,
Stefan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Need help: Backup to disk to tape does not work as expec

Post by veremin »

Most likely, GFS backup job starts at midnight finds no backup created on Sunday and put itself into idle state, waiting either for a new restore point to appear or until 24-hour interval expires (before it gets chance to copy the most recent restore point available). Check this section of our Help Center; should clarify your confusion. Thanks.