PowerShell script exchange
williampu
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: William Pu

Feature Request: Veeam Powershell Access for Different Roles

Post by williampu »

Hi Guys,

I would like to point out that it would be really helpful if Veeam Powershell could be used by accounts who have different levels of access to the Veeam console.
This would be like where Viewers would only be able to run queries, and Operators can execute jobs, which is identical to their level of access to the Veeam console.
I guess from the point of view is that we had a situation where our backup jobs are set in a rolling fashion (jobs execute after each other) and someone disabled the first job in the chain, causing all other backups to not run or alert.
If we could use Veeam Powershell to query the jobs last run state, it could have been identified as an issue earlier.
I would be executing a script similar to the one below to find any job which hasn't executed in the last 2 days and have the results emailed off to the backup administrators.

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
connect-vbrserver -server veeam backup server -user "some user account" -password "some random password"
$Day=(Get-Date).adddays(-2)
Get-VBRJob | where {$_.FindLastSession().CreationTime -lt $Day} | select name

The fact is that the current Veeam Powershell requires the user to be an Administrator of Veeam is a little overkill if I'm just after a query.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request: Veeam Powershell Access for Different R

Post by veremin »

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us; appreciated.

By the way, any particular reason why you prefer (non-ideal) job chaining over limiting number of concurrent tasks repository/proxy can handle?

Thanks.
williampu
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: William Pu

Re: Feature Request: Veeam Powershell Access for Different R

Post by williampu »

We chose job chaining as a matter to ensure that higher priority environments get backed up before the lower environments while trying to maximise the available resources from the Veeam components.
I guess it's hard for us as we don't want to introduce guess-work into the Veeam configuration and cause potential bottlenecks if schedules are all set to start at particular times vs job chaining.
This is particular in light of performing synthetic full backups once a week.