Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PaulITGuy
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Paul S

Pre-freeze script on windows guest: how to troubleshoot

Post by PaulITGuy »

I am having issues with my pre-freeze and post-thaw script on a new shoreTel VM running windows 2012 R2. my script works fine when I run it manually, but when it is ran from the veeam job the script hangs and command window never closes until I kill it with task manager. I added extra logging and echo statements to my batch file, but it is not helping me find the cause. How do I get veeam to run the script in a manner in which I can see it visibly?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Pre-freeze script on windows guest: how to troubleshoot

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I'd like to clarify a few points, if you don't mind.
If you run the script manually in the guest it works as intended, but it hangs if started automatically in the course of the job, is that correct? Also, did you get any info from echoes and logging Were you able to track till what point the script keeps working?

Thanks
PaulITGuy
Influencer

Post by PaulITGuy »

yes to your first questions.

yes, I can track it to where it stops. The script is only a single command that actually does something. Everything else is just logging. the main command it where it stops progressing through my log statements.

I am trying to combine a powershell script and a schedule job to get around UAC limitations and what not. maybe this will work.
PaulITGuy
Influencer

Post by PaulITGuy »

My latest theory is that UAC is the problem.

Orignially I was using batch file. Then I tried Powershell script, to start scheduled task, which starts batch file. This looked like it would work and elevate my script, but then I found that the powershell command to start a scheduled task requires elevation. :(
PaulITGuy
Influencer

Post by PaulITGuy » 1 person likes this post

I disabled UAC more fully on the guest and now the script works. I went back to my basic .cmd batch file.