Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jvandevelde
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Johan van de Velde

Lenovo/IBM Spectrum SAN support for SAS connected system

Post by jvandevelde »

My company owns an IBM Storwize SAN that is connected to the VMware/Veeam servers using SAS cables (a V3700 with 6Gbps SAS cables).

It seems that this SAN connection method is not supported by Veeam in the most recent 9.5 udate as only iSCSI and Fiber connected IBM/Lenovo SANs are supported running at least a specific firmware release needed to obtain a list of volumes.

My support ticket relating to this issue (02464837) did not yield a positive outcome or even a confirmation that this functionality would work given that I am using an 'unsupported' connectivity method and to make matters worse, my SAN does not have enough memory to run the required 7.6 firmware level needed by Veeam.

My requests are thus :

1) That Veeam will provide support for SAS connected IBM/Lenovo SAN's
2) That Veeam will provide support for IBM/Lenovo SAN's running older firmware versions
3) Can I get a confirmation from another Veeam user that if you have the required firmware, it is possible (or not possible) to make a SAN storage snapshot backup
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Lenovo/IBM Spectrum SAN support for SAS connected system

Post by foggy »

Hi Johan, as I've mentioned in another thread, this type of connectivity is not supported by our storage integration framework. We can consider this as a feature request, but if you'd like to get it work in a reasonable time, I'd recommend to make configuration changes in your environment. Older firmware versions are out of the picture, since they do not provide all the required functionality/calls that Veeam B&R utilizes.