Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Backup copy job fails

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

support case nummer: 02470157

I have a backup copy job to a remote site that fails. The error is:

Error: Item [<vmdk name> either was not backed up successfully or restore chain is corrupted.
Failed to download disk.
Shared memory connection was closed.
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

When I look at the backup chain I see that the 5 latest incrementals being reported as 'incomplete'. Then I see incrementals with 'OK' and finally a full backup with also 'OK'.

How can I recover from this situation without doing a full backup again? Since this is a remote site with a WAN link and the VM is 1TB in size a full backup would take ages.

Is it possible to manually delete the 5 incomplete incrementals and then run the backup again so that it starts from the last succesfull incremental? For the record, the incomplete incrementals are the last 5 in the backup chain, they aren't in the middle of it.

Franc.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Re: Backup copy job fails, case #02470157

Post by FrancWest »

The copy only job is configured as always forward incrementals. When I try to restore from the first full backup I get the following error:

secondary GPT header LBA 2576980375 exceeds the size of the disk. {4750211392}.

Agent failed to process method {Mount.GenericMount}.

I think this means that the entire backup chain is now corrupt and I need to do a full backup again.

Any idea whay migh be the cause of this? The state of the backup is 'OK' when I select the properties of the job.

Franc.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Backup copy job fails

Post by csydas »

That error is likely corruption, but you can test it with the Veeam Validator; try installing a copy of Veeam on a machine at the remote site (just don't add any hosts and it won't care about licensing) and use the Validator against the Full Backup: https://www.veeam.com/kb2086

Incomplete points are typically "fine", because Veeam will continue to try on the next run, but the error you're having is likely a bad point.

Given it's a remote site, is a Backup Copy Seed viable for you? It'll include some delay, naturally, but saves a lot of time with the transfer.