Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Moltron
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave Moulton

Utilize more than 1 storage target - different retentions

Post by Moltron »

Hello -

I've been searching around in these forums and even called support for some advice on this, but have yet to find anything that great.

Situation:
We've got Veeam doing backups to an Exagrid. It does the standard backups to this system, and then 6 months worth to the same system via a copy job. That all works fine - except that we need more retention. We have an older Data Domain that is not being utilized.

Goal:
It would be great if I could do something like - after 6 months, send backups to the Data Domain for longer term storage. I'd like to take the overflow from the Exagrid and store it on the Data Domain in a way where Veeam is aware its there.

About the only thing I can come up with is to create another copy job and have that do maybe quarterly copies out to the Data Domain. Could there be a better way to accomplish this?

Perhaps something in version 10 can help? post255157.html?hilit=multiple%20copy%20jobs#p255157 this link talks about some new archival features in v10 - but afaik thats not here yet.

Thanks!
Moltron
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave Moulton

Re: Utilize more than 1 storage target - different retention

Post by Moltron »

Just an update - I've started to read about Scale-Out repositories and seems like this is probably the better way to go. Not sure why support didn't point out that possibility. Might not give me all the control I was looking for, but seems like it will get me the additional space I need.

Except that - Exagrid does not yet support this, but will in its next release. Any week now...