Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Protection group computer ip assignment

Post by DaStivi »

Hello,
i've some issues with with dynamic ips and backup agents... i noticed that i have veeam agent backups of machines that i didn't have in the veeam gui... basically this happens when ip addressing changes... what is basically every day because of dhcp, where the normal clients are configured to use!

veeam saves the last known ip address of a client... and when that client isn't only again, but another to veeam unknown client is reachable under this ip, veeam installes veeam agents on that particual machine and also this machine is then performing a backup

the yellow one is the correct one...
and the green one is a completely different machine.. what should normally not be in Veeam, and get backuped with Veeam agent! but Veeam somehow thinks this should be the original one (yellow) but as we can see it also notices that this is a different machines, as it generetes a new folder/file structure, and the folders/files are named correctly to the computer name!

edit: i collect a support bundle right now for a case... i can see also that there is a client log for that particual machines too, that are backup'd "wrong"!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Protection group computer ip assignment

Post by veremin »

Can you tell us - how both protection group and agent backup job are configured (source options, especially)? Thanks.
DaStivi
Service Provider

Post by DaStivi »

hi, i'am sorry... the protection group is basically an AD object configuration... i had tested it before with "manually" added machines... and run into this issue and had the hope that using ad object would help but... yeah looks like its not the case...

the protection group rescan is every day at worktimes (9:30am) so basically all clients should be online, but of course there are also notebooks and they can be in out of office... agents will be automatically installed option is also enabled (as recommended)

the issue is also when rescaning the protection group the offline clients will not be updated... the still have the "old" IP address ... the host is offline, but behind the ip is another host responding!
right now i also have a warning message on rescan, this time with a completely different IP address (from wifi range)
30.01.2018 13:29:55 Warning Cannot connect to ngrz-abc.xxx.local Details: Known agent ngrz-zzzzzzzz1.xxx.local have the same bios uuid 12x96z0a-xxx-11e5-b200-x2644550049 but different connection point ngrz-abc.xxx.local.

as the ngrz-abc.xxx.local is resolving to the same ip as the ngrz-zzzzzz1.xxx.local right now...

agent backup itself is configured with a agent backup policy... als clients from the protection group, volume level backup, backup to Veeam backup repository
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stephan,

We should not rely on IP address in case the protection group type is Active Directory. Please open a case and share the case ID, so I could ask our QA team to review your logs. Thank you in advance.
DaStivi
Service Provider

Post by DaStivi »

case is allready open: 02515859
martin_zidu
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Martin Zidu

Post by martin_zidu »

Hi There,

we are facing exactly same issue, which is duplicating entries for Agents (Eg. three same machine names with different IP, which is pointing to different device). AD based protection Groups.

Case 03085779
holden205
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Holden

Post by holden205 »

I'm also encountering this issue. Although the error message states duplicate UUIDs, in fact, it is referring to duplicate IP addresses. I've confirmed in all cases where this is occurring, there are no duplicate UUIDs. I'm also experiencing a failure of Veeam to remove devices that are no longer in the AD protection group. Therefore, I am stuck with ghosted devices that are consuming licenses and cannot be reached anymore. In addition, when devices removed from AD are re-imaged/redeployed, Veeam complains about duplicate UUIDs. There is some issue with Veeam being unable to remove devices from its own database. It appears like rescan doesn't even sync with AD. It just attempts to rescan objects that are already in the the protection group. This is most frustrating.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jeff.

Have you tried to remove this hosts from protection group by modifying protection group computer scope? Can you add these hosts via host name instead on IP address (since IP address is dynamic and cannot be used as a unique identifier)? Thanks.
bameys
Lurker
Full Name: Brian Ameys

Post by bameys »

Hi

we have the same IP address issue, but now with a CSV file. The problem happens with laptops that regularly get a new ip address and VEEAM B&R gives the error message it can't connect to the agent. Looking into the details form, an old IP address is displayed (in the meantime belonging to a different computer). Apparently VEEAM B&R tries to connect with the old IP address instead of resolving the name. However when running the credentials check in the protection group, it does resolve the name correctly and accepts the credentials.
Is there no way to reset these IP addresses ?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Brian,

Remove the IP address from the CSV file and it should be automatically removed from protection group during next rescan. I'd also recommend to use host name instead of dynamic ip address for discovery, as otherwise you'll keep suffering from IP address being swapped every time.
Okay
Lurker
Full Name: Todd Whaley

Post by Okay »

I am currently experiencing the same issue. Did anyone receive any instructions from Veeam to resolve this?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Todd,

Can you please share more details about your issue? Do you have a support case ID? Thank you!