Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rnelson0
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Rob Nelson

Template timing with synthetic full backups

Post by rnelson0 »

(I know sanitation of images below may make it a little difficult to follow at times, but hopefully the highlights help)

I made some changes recently to our backup schedule and I was reviewing the history when I noticed this oddity:
Two templates took almost the same amount of time to complete as the synthetic fulls. Looking at either of them shows just a few minutes to actually complete.

This was a little baffling, but not really a problem - just a minor error in timing on successful backups, no biggie. Today I was able to capture a job creating a synthetic full in action (normally it runs at 2am and I wasn't that curious). You can see that on the left, the VM was successfully backed up, but on the right, it shows as still processing and the time is increasing. There are other templates in the job and they all show similar behavior.

On days where these jobs do not create synthetic fulls, there are no timing issues with the template VMs, and non-template VMs never have the issue.

I am running Veeam B&R 9.5.0.1536, which I believe is the latest. Is this a known issue? And yes, I know that I should probably open a case but due to $reasons I cannot open it from the web and I don't have time to call it in right now, so I figured I could ask here at least.
coolsport00
Veeam Legend
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Shane Williford

Re: Template timing with synthetic full backups

Post by coolsport00 »

Sorry man... have not seen that before. We actually don't back up our templates. I'll create a temp job real quick & do a b/u & check out the behavior.

Shane
@coolsport00
Shane Williford
Systems Architect

Veeam Legend | Veeam Architect (VMCA) | VUG KC Leader
VMware VCAP/VCP | VMware vExpert 2011-22
Twitter: @coolsport00
coolsport00
Veeam Legend

Post by coolsport00 »

Can you describe how you b/u your templates? Do you integrate storage? i.e. use storage snapshots? Fwd Incr, FFwdincr, or Rev Incr? Since you shared about Synth Full, I assume Fwd Incr? Repo settings?..i.e. Align disks, Per-VM?

Thanks.
Shane Williford
Systems Architect

coolsport00
Veeam Legend

Post by coolsport00 »

Ron - was able to run mine without issues. 80GB Template, Fwd Incr, on a Repos with Per-VM setting, integrating strg snap... finished in 4 1/2mins at only 93MB/s. Will run it again performing a synt full....
Shane Williford
Systems Architect

mwvme
Expert
Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Michael White

Post by mwvme »

I put my templates in a separate job. There is different logic around how templates are backed up. I suggest a seperate job and once a week or something to backup. I suspect they will only do full backups but I am not sure.

Other people I know do a script kind of thing to turn them into VMs for a backup and then turn them back into templates at the end of the job with another script.

Michael
Michael White
Field Product Manager
https://notesfrommwhite.net
@mwVme
rnelson0
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Rob Nelson

Post by rnelson0 »

I am doing Incrementals with Create synthetic full backups periodically set to a single day of the week, and using per-VM files.

To be clear, the backups are *fine*. It's just odd that the timing numbers are so clearly off and only for templates on the day of a synthetic full.