Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ihamilton
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: ihamilton

Setup Veeam BR and HP 1/8 Tape Autoloader with 2 FC Ports

Post by ihamilton »

Good Day All. Case # 02519968
I am setting up an HP 1/8 Tape Autoloader with 2 FC Ports. Each FC Port goes to a different SAN Switch.
Now on the Veeam Server (Win 2012, NOT R2) Windows detects Two Media Changers and Two Tape Drives.
In Veeam I Setup a Tape Server and says everything is OK, Under Libraries there´s an HP Autoloader and One Drive.
Now If i do an Inventory it fails :
Failed to inventory tape Tape 1 Error: Failed to call RPC function 'LoadMedium': The operation completed successfully. DeviceIoControl(ChangerGetElementStatus) with sourceAddress = '0', destAddress = '0', symLink = '\\.\Changer0'.

I've installed latest drivers for Windows and HP Autoloader, rebooted the Autoloader but it still fails.
How do I setup Windows so it can See Only One Media Changer and One Drive?
I think that is the cause of the error.
Thanks a lot.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Setup Veeam BR and HP 1/8 Tape Autoloader with 2 FC Port

Post by csydas »

Have you configured MPIO on the Windows Server for your tape drive? Veeam's gonna see whatever Windows does, and if Windows sees 2 changes and drives, so will Veeam.

Figure out the MPIO/Failover stuff for your tape drive (check the documentation) and it should be fine. Else, just remove one of the FC connections for now and rescan the hardware in windows. Once you've got your multipathing set up correctly, just rescan again and Veeam/Windows will see it fine.

I wish I could give you more information, but it's going to depend heavily on what you've got for hardware.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... -c04325872

I found this on a DDG search quick for HP Autoloader MPIO. Maybe it can help?
ihamilton
Novice

Post by ihamilton »

Thanks for the reply.
Actually that is what I need help with.
The issue is, MPIO does not configure the Tape Autoloader automatically, for example before MPIO I had a number of SAN disks in disk manager and after enabling MPIO and rebooting the server I can see only 2 SAN disks, the same I have in VMware, I did not configure anything manually but for tape I still have 2 of each, drive and media changer.
I was checking on MPIO that I need a Vendor and Product ids as a string of 8 and 16 characters, where or how do I get those?, is it referring to the WWN or is it something else?
Thanks.
ihamilton
Novice

Post by ihamilton »

I just found this but it is from 2015, does this still apply?
Thanks.
tape-f29/veeam-and-mpio-tape-ex-hp-msl- ... 29453.html
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Has not the problem been isolated to device misbehaviour? The support engineer pointed out that autoloader was unable to load tapes manually from the HPE management interface and when attempting to move a tape from a slot into the drive, you consistently got the error. Did you get any response from device manufacturer regarding that? Thanks.
ihamilton
Novice

Post by ihamilton »

Good Day.
They Changed the drive and maybe in 4 hours will get LTO7 Tapes, we were using LTO5 Tapes, which according to the drive's notes are read only.
Just LTO6 and LTO7 will be read & write.
So I'll test later and see what happens.
Thanks.
Rasul414
Lurker
Full Name: rasul mammadov

msl2024 connect to vm windows server 2016

Post by Rasul414 »

hi my server is esxi host how can i connect my msl 2024 to vm windows server 2016 with fc