Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Joe2122
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Smith

GFS Backup Copy Settings

Post by Joe2122 »

Hi,

I have a backup copy job which stores 12 monthly restore points from multiple source backup jobs.
I've set the Monthly archives to be created on the last day of every month and set the job to read the entire restore point from source backup.

This has resulted in the creation of archived monthly jobs but they are never the most recent restore point to the end of the month. They are often created in the middle of month whenever the copy job runs its initial sync. Is there a setting which will allow these jobs to initiate new copy from source backup or do i simply have to set the copy job itself to to daily inorder to capture a backup on the last day of every month for archive purposes ?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: GFS Backup Copy Settings

Post by foggy »

Hi Joe, could you please share the backup copy job settings? Specifically, what is the copy interval configured?
Joe2122
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Smith

Post by Joe2122 »

The Copy internal is every 7 days
The job is set to keep 2 restore points
GFS Settings are

Weekly 0
Monthly 12 (Last day of the month)
Quarterly 0
Yearly 0
Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesising it from increments is ticked.

The outcome of these settings is;
The Copy job runs it creates 2 copy restore points.
then at a seemly random time during the month it creates a monthly archive and tags it.

the problem is that it doesn't create this monthly archive on the last day of the month or even the last copy containing the last full backup copy of the month. It results in an archive creation at some point in the month generally around 20th.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

Hey Joe,

Maybe I'm off on this, but check out the user guide section on Restore Point Selection: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Specifically, check out the equation they list:

Time of restore point creation >= current time – backup copy interval

Without specific dates/times from your job, obviously can't really say more, but I bet if we did the math with this you'd see the pattern start to emerge.

I think your original idea is probably right, to run it daily. Remember that backup copy isn't like a robo copy, it's doing some block level mojo from the backup files, so you shouldn't expect a VBK sent across the pipes, it's compositing a backup from backups. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

As is such, I think it's also expecting that it has that daily copying to rely on when it makes points. It's perhaps not the most elegant example, but I once had it explained to me that GFS is like a train going past a station and just kicking the luggage (GFS point) off as it goes by. With the interval set so strange like that, I think this is why you're seeing the points set weird, but it'd require further investigation.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Monthly full should be put aside once the full backup in the regular chain reaches the last day of the month and should have the date either of that day (in case it falls on the day when the job cycle starts) or the day the next job cycle starts. If this is not the case, please contact support for a closer look.