Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
badams
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Bert Adams

Virtual vs Physicial Server

Post by badams »

I am backing up two VMs on a Windows Server 2016 Standard Server to a Backup Server running the same. I have installed Veeam on the physical backup machine with the idea of using it as the backup repository as well as other destinations. My question is I have installed to the physical machine, but I am wondering if it is possible to instead install VBR to a VM on the backup server only to run the backup software.

This would be helpful given I have screwed up the install twice. Both times I have thought I could simply use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall and reinstall VBR. Both times that has not been possible. I certainly don't expect to continue to make errors, but it would be great to be able to just redo the VM.

Finally, is installing to a VM on the backup server contraindicated if one is considering using a tape backup in the future?

Thank you.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Virtual vs Physicial Server

Post by nmdange »

Yes this is possible, I run my setup the same way. It will also not prevent you from using tape backups, Veeam does not need the tape library attached directly to the backup server, it can be attached to another server that is added through the infrastructure.
badams
Enthusiast

Post by badams »

Thanks for the answer.

I am glad you got 61 likes. I liked it too. I was bummed I didn't get any likes, lol.

I suppose good answers are more likable than questions.
badams
Enthusiast

Post by badams »

Thanks again.

I have an IT friend who works at Microsoft. But, he does NOT use Veeam. So, I wanted to mention what he said just in case. I think he is mistaken. He keeps telling me that if I install Veeam in a VM and run BBR from VM to put the backups in the repository, which is on a completely different drive and not in the VM that if I use Quick Restore, it will put the quick restore inside the VM. So that the VM will be inside the VM, which would not be good. I don't think this is correct.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Bert,

I think (unless I completely misunderstand it) that your friend is indeed mistaken. Veeam B&R can be installed in a VM. But when you do restores or do a quick restore, it won't do that inside the VM at all. The end-result of the restores won't make a difference if you are running it virtual or physical

Cheers
Mike