Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
vir_db
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Bertorello

Change expiration date of a tape

Post by vir_db »

Dear All,

I should change the retention period of a tape that was made last years and that it's currently offline.
Let me explain:

We have 4 media pool, with different retention: Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly.

Last year, I moved a tape from Monthly media pool to the Yearly one, but the expiration date wasn't updated.
This year the tape job was made directly against the Yearly media pool and the expiration date it's OK.

By the database point of view, them are in this state (from [VeeamBackup].[dbo].[Tape.tape_mediums]):

id name media_time last_write_time outdated media_set_type
63B8EB2B-0E11-45C7-8A7F-24A46BE64B8D IT-XXX1-M07 48:41.0 NULL 1 NULL
345B8C54-0174-4359-9731-9B08ACC1CA52 IT-XXX1-M07 57:37.0 26:02.2 0 0

The first row is last year tape, the last row is the new one

I already tried to modify just this table (of course, in a test evironment) in order to fix the retention of last year tape, but seems it's not sufficient. Maybe other table are involved, but I don't know which ones.

There are other ways to achieve my goal?

Thanks a lot and best regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Change expiration date of a tape

Post by veremin »

You can either enable a write protection on a tape and erase it whenever the right time comes (sort of manual retention) or reach our support team and modify the db under their close supervision. Thanks.
vir_db
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Bertorello

Post by vir_db »

Thanks, but write protection cannot be configured with a date. I have to remember when remove the protection... Yearly retention is 10 years :) I cannot remember what I eat yesterday... I really thinks that this cannot be an option. Thanks in any case
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, that's exactly what I meant by "manual retention". In the meantime I do understand that this option is far from ideal. So, reaching support team looks like the easiest path. Thanks.
pvz
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Per von Zweigbergk

Post by pvz »

Hi!

I recently had the same requirement, some media pools were incorrectly set to an 11 month retention time when they should be 12 months, so I raised a support request (05583400)

I was told it would not be possible to just change this in the database since the expiry date is also written on the tape metadata
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

pvz,

Can you please clarify if you tried to change the retention in the media pool? Whenever you do that you get a prompt asking how such change should be applied - to newly recorded tapes or to all tapes including already recorded. Thank you!