Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
Nail.Mukhametshin
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Наиль Мухаметшин

[Possible Bug] Incorrect performance log collection for CSV

Post by Nail.Mukhametshin »

Hi all!

While we troubleshoot CSV Latency counter in case # 02464332 with Kirill we found that VeeamOne collects performance data incorrectly.

Now VeeamOne collects performance data for CSV File system object only from one node. If look deeper VeeamOne connects to cluster name (e.g. cluster.company.com) that owned by one of nodes in that cluster (e.g. node1.company.com) and collects performance data only from this node. That what Kirill told me, and that is incorrect.

Corresponding to Microsoft article (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/cluste ... -counters/) performance counters must be collected and aggregated across all cluster nodes.
The most important consideration when looking at counters on a CSV is to keep in mind that values of the counters is not aggregated across nodes. For instance if one node tells you that “Avg. Disk Queue Length” is 10, and another tells you 5 then actual queue length on the disk is about 15.
Kirill also told me that this actually not a bug, that is design of VeeamOne. And to correct this is needed to make a post on this forum, so it may be will fixed in future releases.

Can you confirm that VeeamOne logic described by Kirill is correct (collect perfdata only from one node) and please tell when you will plan to fix this - in new release only, or I can open a new one Support Request to get fix on demand?
Nail Mukhametshin | System Engineer | R&D Services Infrastructure Development | Kaspersky Lab
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: [Possible Bug] Incorrect performance log collection for

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Nail,

I've discussed the situation with Kirill's manager. It looks like there were some misunderstanding between you and Kirill.
Veeam ONE collects performance data of all cluster nodes, not just one.

Support case says you are on version 9.5. Is that updated to v9.5update3? Most recent(Update 3) build number is 9.5.0.3801
Indeed there was a bug with CSV latency aggregation that we fixed in u3. So I'm curious if that's the same issue you are facing.

If you are on the latest update already, we will double-check the behavior with quality assurance team and either provide a hot fix for you try to include the fix to upcoming update.

Thanks!
Nail.Mukhametshin
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Наиль Мухаметшин

Post by Nail.Mukhametshin »

I want to say that I have have no complaints to Kirill - he is good technical support engineer, but I was surprised about how VeeamOne works (from his words) and described behavior may be fixed in upcoming releases. So this topic was started to fix problem, not to give bad feedback for Kirill (sorry if this was sounds like this).

And about our Env - yes we had updated to Update 3, and also had some private fixes for U3 already.
Nail Mukhametshin | System Engineer | R&D Services Infrastructure Development | Kaspersky Lab
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

No worries, we are in constant touch with support team and talk not only when something bad happens :)
As for the possible bug, we've asked developers to join the investigation. We will keep you updated through the support team.
Thanks!