Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Getting just file sizes from tape

Post by pshute »

I need to check the size of a particular file on a vm on several dates.

The recent dates are easy - I just need to use the Restore Guest Files option an browse to the file and check the date.

For older dates, our restore points are on tape. Is there a way to examine the date of a guest file in these restore points, other than restoring the restore points from tape and following the procedure above?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Getting just file sizes from tape

Post by veremin »

In order to do that, you need to enable indexing in backup job settings and add backup server to Enterprise Manager. Then, you will be able to search individual files residing on tapes and check file specific information, such as modification date, size, etc. Thanks.
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

We don't have Enterprise Manager. Even if we did, the indexing would only apply to jobs done after the indexing is enabled, correct? I need to check some historical jobs.

So I'm left with restoring restore points. Pity, as they take over 4 hours each, and I only have room on the disk for one at a time. I wonder if I should be breaking our backups into 2 jobs to make the tape restores quicker.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We don't have Enterprise Manager.
Might be worth doing so. It comes along with Veeam Backup & Replication and does not require any additional license.
Even if we did, the indexing would only apply to jobs done after the indexing is enabled, correct?
Correct.
So I'm left with restoring restore points.
Yep, restore seems to be the only option here.
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

It does??
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Correct, the installation package should contain both Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam Enterprise Manager. Enterprise Manager can be used even with Standard backup license. Thanks.