Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Backup proxy versus guest interaction proxy

Post by kapple »

Hi, I have a "dumb question" for you all.

I understand that the Veeam backup proxies are going to handle data moving, and that this takes place between the backup source, and backup target.
What I don't thoroughly understand is the guest interaction proxy. I realize that this this is what makes application aware processing and guest file indexing possible on Windows VMs that are backed up. When I look at the Veeam architecture diagrams, this guest interaction proxy works between the B&R server and the source hosts. This is where I get fuzzy.

If I am understanding this properly, the guest interaction proxy is not a separate Windows server you deploy, as you with the backup proxy, correct?
Is the guest interaction proxy simply defined in the backup job for a VM, and any of the Veeam servers can fill that roll?
If there is no application aware processing, nor guest file system indexing, does the guest interaction proxy even come into play?

I am trying to get a better handle on how data is moved, and realized I do not have a very good understanding of the guest interaction proxy. Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Backup proxy versus guest interaction proxy

Post by MichaelCade »

Hi Ken,

This proxy is required for,

Application-aware processing
Guest file system indexing
Transaction logs processing

The Guest Interaction Policy can be added to any Windows Server and existing Veeam component server, it is there to communicate with the VM guest OS even if the backup server and processed VM run in different networks.

More detail can be found here - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple »

Hi Michael, and thanks.

I understand what the guest interaction proxy is used for. What I am unsure of is, is this a separate server to be deployed (I don't believe so), or can any Windows server that is part of the Veeam backup infrastructure fill this role.
On our jobs, we have the guest interaction proxy set to automatic selection. All our Windows Veeam servers (B&R, backup proxies, backup repos and SOBR) are listed if we want to select a specific server to fulfill this role. Does this mean that any and all of these servers can act as a guest interaction proxy, without additional configuration of the Veeam backup infrastructure? That is the heart of my question.

Thanks.
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Post by MichaelCade » 1 person likes this post

This does not need to be a seperate server.

and yes if you have the automatic selection option configured then it will pick the most suitable server to perform.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple »

Great,

Thanks Michael. That is what I thought, but I was not real confident in my assumption, and wanted to reach out to the community to verify is.
pen@sac-it.dk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Rostén Nørredal

Post by pen@sac-it.dk »

Hallo
And thank you all for your replies regarding this
I have been a bit confused as well, as the veeam drawings of i.e. Guest Interaction Proxy (GIP) often is show as a separate Veeam component

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

But as I understand the Veeam Proxy and the GIP, can - and is often only 1 Veeam server, with different roles to serve, right ?
Performance vise, I would like your opinion ...

I´m planning an advanced Veeam setup, where all traffic load and communication, will be handled by Veeam Proxy servers (both Windows based and Linux) and then only 1 Veeam B&R pr. managed VMware vCenter/Infrastructure. But would it be better, even though 1 Veeam server can serve as both "normal" proxy and Guest proxy, to spilt the roles as shown in most diagrams ?

One or more proxies to take care of communication and datatransfer between Infrastructure and Storage - and then separate Veeam servers to handle Guest interaction tasks.
Would that performance vise be a better solution ?

Hope that my question gives meaning, to you guys
Thanks
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Guest Interaction Proxy is a light weight role that does not really matter that much in case of load.
It was introduced for network optimization flow reasons. The idea was that you can install one or more GIPs at each site and the GIPs will cache all the guest interaction software that we rollout on demand on the VMs and remove them after backup again. Example if you have 100VMs at a site with a remote VBR, Veeam will not upload 100x our software to the site, just once and then the GIP will interact with the VMs. As well it is used to optimize network port usage. VBR speaks with the GIP, GIP speaks with the VMs.

If you just have one site, I would let VBR handle the Guest interaction (no GIP => it is less communication overhead in total as one hop less). Proxy load balancing is key to optimize performance.

Potentially install the Veeam DB on a separate server that might optimize resources way more than installing a GIP.
pen@sac-it.dk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Rostén Nørredal

Post by pen@sac-it.dk »

Thank you Andreas