Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MattMannix
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam v9 Console Communication Encryption?

Post by MattMannix »

Case # 0167565

Now that the console has been split from the backup server and can be run from a remote location can Veeam shine some light on what encryption methods are used to protect the AD credentials during authentication?

I was unable to find anything related to this in the support documentation and the support team does not appear to have this information either.

Thanks,

--matt
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam v9 Console Communication Encryption?

Post by Gostev »

v9 console is not intended to be used over the internet. You should be using VPN when connecting to your backup server from a remote location. Thanks!
MattMannix
Novice
Liked: never

Post by MattMannix »

I'm not really sure how that answers my question. Is the answer that there is currently no encryption for this communication?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct, there is no additional encryption of communication between console and backup server after the connection has been established. To establish the connection, standard AD authentication is used (which actually never sends actual credentials over the network anyway, something you imply by your original question it does). As such, establishing the initial connection in a domain environment requires that the console is located on the domain network.
signal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by signal »

I'm sorry to revive this older thread. In this thread I got verification that traffic will be encrypted if a rule for 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 is added. Does this also include the console to server communication?

Also, has this changed in v9.5, and is there a plan to change it in v10?
signal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Security of console traffic

Post by signal »

Is there any security measures in place for the traffic between the console and the backup server? Is the traffic encrypted? If so, how is it secured?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Answering the question from your previous post, no, console traffic is not additionally encrypted (there's only default built-in encryption).