Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mhensley@n2nix.com
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Hensley

Feature request for Micro Focus OES 2018

Post by mhensley@n2nix.com »

Currently Veeam Backup & Replication supports Micro Focus OES 2015 and prior versions. Requesting that Veeam 9.5 update support for OES 2018 as it has just been released.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature request for Micro Focus OES 2018

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michael,

Can you please clarify what kind of support you're asking for? Do you refer to image-level backups or something more specific?

Thanks!
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

I upgraded one of my OES 2015 SP1 servers in my lab to OES 2018 and it works without any issues using VBR 9.5 Update 2 and now Update 3. This is because the only change to NSS in OES 2018 has to do with 64-bit ZIDs which really don't come into play here. I had a long conversation with one of the NSS engineers in Bangalore to verify this and through that discussion learned that you would need to perform FLR of > 4 billion files to possibly run into anything. If you need to restore that much data you'll likely be restoring an entire VMDK to get the whole volume back or possibly even restore the entire VM.

Regardless, I've asked our QA perform testing so we can officially "certify" OES 2018. This is something that's being looked at.

Joe
mhensley@n2nix.com
Novice

We would just like an official statement made by Veeam that Micro Focus OES 2018 is supported with Veeam Backup & Replication9.5.x. As far as features, this would include all features that Veeam supported with prior versions of Micro Focus Open Enterprise. Features such as file level restore, trustee restore and etc.
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

Note that trustee restore isn't supported for NSS volumes, though this really only impacts folder restores as restoring individual files will inherit trustee permissions from folders (unless you are assigning rights at the file level which goes against best practices). This is true regardless of OES version but is easily addressed using pre-freeze scripts. Information on how to do this is in a Cool Solutions article I wrote when we initially added OES 2015 support.

https://www.novell.com/communities/cool ... 5-support/

As far as officially supporting OES 2018, again that's being looked at for FLR. I would be interested if anyone has reports of FLR not working for some reason with OES 2018.

Joe
thafemann
Lurker
Full Name: Tom Hafemann

Post by thafemann » 1 person likes this post

Hey there,

Joe is right about NSS for OES 2018. I just installed a brand new OES 2018 server and will post my result of a backup and testing once I get it configured.

I don't expect there to be much of any issues and it should work just fine, but I think I understand your concern. While you and I might think it works just fine, if there is a problem, and you call support, you don't want to here the stock phrase "We don't support OES 2018, have a nice day". This sort of thing pisses off every admin on the face of the planet. I too want this same statement before I put OES 2018 into production, but this won't preclude my own testing. Let me suggest you do the same thing. Install a stand alone OES 2018, new tree and everything, and do some of your own testing.

What I can tell you about Joe is that he is working on getting that statement. I think the only reason it isn't there is that there hasn't been enough testing in the time it has been released, nor has there been a request for it. So since you have asked for it, it is now on the radar.

You can trust Joe.

Tom
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

Our QA has finished testing OES 2018. We've found one isolated case where there could be an issue. If you perform FLR using Veeam Enterprise Manager on an OES 2018 instance using ext4 for the root filesystem (typically only new installs as upgrades from OES 2015 likely use ext3), you won't be able to restore files on non-NSS filesystems if NSS support is selected in the helper appliance. To restore files to non-NSS, you'll have to deselect NSS support. If you run into this issue please open a support case as we have a hotfix for this issue (updated ISO image for deploying the helper appliance) which can be obtained from support. This fix will be included in 9.5 Update 4. Note that performing FLR using the Veeam Backup Console does not have this issue.

As a result of all this I suspect an official statement for supporting OES 2018 will be a part of Update 4.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

To close this out... OES 2018 support was officially added to Update 3a.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2646

Joe
mhensley@n2nix.com
Novice

I want to request a feature update. Need VBR 11 support OES 2018 SP3.