Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

Switch to B&R server Agent management

Post by philfreund »

Looking at the revised documentation for U3, it appears that there are now two ways to setup Windows agent jobs. It looks like the old way still works with management fully local on the physical servers. The new way has you create jobs using the B&R console. Is there any way to convert the old local management jobs to the new B&R managed jobs as well as keeping the backups already made with the old agent management?
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Switch to B&R server Agent management

Post by nitramd »

I think you're referring to a protection group, which is not a job. Once a protection group has been created and populated with (physical) servers you can create a backup job.
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

No. You can create a job from individual servers. You don't need a protection group.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

philfreund wrote:Is there any way to convert the old local management jobs to the new B&R managed jobs as well as keeping the backups already made with the old agent management?
Unfortunately this is not possible. You have to configure a new managed by backup server or managed by agent job which will overwrite existing settings of you standalone agents. Thanks!
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

Thanks. I ended up opening a case. In summary, it you just upgrade the agent to 2.1, it will simply continue to process the existing backup chain with the existing settings. If you create a server managed job, it uses the settings you create in the job setup and moves the old backup chain to the Disk (imported) category; once it's in the Disk (imported) category, you have to manually delete the old backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Phil,

Sounds right. Thanks for sharing the update!
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 »

Just hitting this. Too bad. Not only do I lose management of all my Agent backups, but I also lose management of the backup copy job data spawned from them. Poop.
Veeaming since 2013