Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

How to restore user's password using AD Explorer?

Post by mcz »

Hi everybody,

yesterday I have reset a user's passwort and after some minutes I wannted to revert my change. So I opened veeam explorer for active directory and using a restore point which has been created before I changed the password. I clicked onto "Show Changed Objects Only" but this user wasn't listed. I then clicked onto "show attributes" but I wasn't able to see a hint for a changed password and wasn't able to restore it.

In gostev's post veeam-backup-replication-f2/veeam-explo ... 21038.html we can see that restore of a password should be possible but I didn't get it how to handle that.

Thanks for the explanation!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How to restore user's password using AD Explorer?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi mcz,

You should perform object restore and specify password restore option via wizard. Thanks!
Kazz
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Kazz Beck

Post by Kazz » 1 person likes this post

mcz,

if Dima's suggestion does not work and your environment allows cached logons.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -available

You still have a chance to recover and reveal the password used by the user account, you just reset. I am making an assumption that you have access to the computer where user logged on previously and the file system is not encrypted.

Use Pwdump to get the hashes and paste the results in to crackstation.net (please keep in mind you will be submitting the hash to the public webiste)

https://www.aldeid.com/wiki/Pwdump

Good Luck!
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

Thanks Dmitiry for the reply. Ommm, quite simple and to be honest, I havent tried to restore the account because I saw no changes... Why does veeam explorer consider the object (user) as unchanged when password has changed? Is this a expected behaviour?