Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ValbrunaUK
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Hunton

Restoring VMs - Hyper-V

Post by ValbrunaUK »

Hi All,

I've been using Backup and Replication for a while but there is one thing which is bugging me regarding restoring VMs. I'm hoping someone would be able to offer a little insight.

Our current setup is a 2016 Hyper V with 1 domain controller VM and a File server VM. The fileserver currently runs Veeam B&R. Storage of backups is retained on a separate NAS drive.

In the unlikely event of the File server crashing would I be right in thinking I would need to do the following in order to restore my VM from a backup.

1. create a new VM (different name)
2. install B&R
3. connect to repository of VM backup.
4. Restore VM?

Whilst I've happily recovered files from backups I've never done a full VM restore. I just feel there is something I'm missing.

Thanks,
Chris
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Restoring VMs - Hyper-V

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Chris and welcome to the community!

Your understanding is correct.
You can improve the process by using configuration backup, so in case of disaster you will install the product in the new VM and restore configuration. Thanks!
ValbrunaUK
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Hunton

Post by ValbrunaUK »

Thank you for confirming my thoughts. I do take configuration backups on a schedule. It's not much different from our previous server and backupExec (grrrr).

I guess I need to make some head ways into setting up a machine to act as pre-installed restoration box.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

You're welcome!
Please review the existing big discussion about protection of backup servers, as you may find a useful consideration. Thanks!