Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jsull
Influencer
Liked: never

Hyper-V Proxy

Post by jsull »

Warning, I'm a total Veeam newbie.

I'm trying to do a simple setup:
Veeam Server on a Hyper-V VM, Server 2016
Backup Repository on a Dell PowerEdge using local storage, Server 2016

Can I use the Repository server as the off-site proxy? I've been able to create it, but my backup job doesn't see it as a suitable proxy. The job runs OK if it fails over to on-host processing.
I'm unsure where to start troubleshooting, or am I just missing something?

Thanks,
John
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Hyper-V Proxy

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Jsull,

Is there a SAN involved or is it SMB shared storage? You are saying that you are using local storage?

The requirements for a off-host proxy are defined here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... host_proxy

Brgds,
Mike
jsull
Influencer

Post by jsull »

Hi Mike.
No SAN, just SMB share on a WIn 2016 server, a Dell PowerEdge R515.
The specs look OK, except I don't know much about the VSS provider part. Could that be the issue?
jsull
Influencer

Post by jsull »

Followup:
I created a couple of Hyper-V proxies on VMs (one each for 2012 R2 and 2016), and they don't work either, so I'm not sure what's going on. On-site processing always works.

Thanks,
John
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

When you say you have no SAN, where are your VMs stored in relation to your Hyper-V hosts? Are they on disks local to the host? You can't use off-host proxies with standalone Hyper-V hosts. If they are stored on a Scale-Out File Server Cluster (or I suppose a standalone file server which is not a typical setup), then the off-host proxy server computer account needs access to the file share the VMs are stored on, and you must install the "File Server VSS Agent" role on the File server cluster if your Hyper-V hosts are 2012 R2. See https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Also, if your environment is small, then you are probably fine using the on-host proxy. There is some overhead but it is not that large.
jsull
Influencer

Post by jsull »

Yep, everything is stand-alone, so that explains it. Thanks!

John
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Indeed. Hence my question around the local storage ;-). Thanks for the response nmdange!

So that indeed means that Veeam will use the hosts as proxies. (It is different with VMware so from there comes the confusion a lot). Don't worry about using on-host proxies. It isn't necessary a bad thing. What can be bad is the fact that onhost proxy will use some of your hyper-v resources to do its job. Which is still not an issue if your hyper-v hosts are sized correctly and you have resources over. (Depending on the person you talk to, and how you are going to do failover, some will say max 60 - 80 percent of the resources for VMs so you have a buffer). If you are running with limited resources left, then you might end up with slower connections to workloads and servers that start to "struggle". So keep that in mind for your design or VM placement.

cheers
Mike
jsull
Influencer

Post by jsull »

Thanks! I think I was getting into that zone of obsessing over every last CPU cycle, but so far our hosts have plenty of overhead.
This is all good information for me. I never know what's coming next around here.

Best,
John