Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
krzychu
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Krzysztof Piglowski

VM UUID and Backups - Feature Request?

Post by krzychu »

Hi,
We have 2 VC's , linked, using Veeam to backup locally and backup copy across. Simples.
Do not use native replication.
We use a 3rd party (Zerto) to replicate critical VMs.
Just since a few days ago that product allows us to keep the VM UUID after a move/failover.
This I have tested and it works as it says on the box.

I have expected the backup job to be able to recognize this and figure out that although the VM is elsewhere, the UUID is the same, so when it runs, it backs up the VM to the existing set of retention points instead of using a new chain.
Is this just my wishful thinking? I know there's ways to get this working using native Veeam replication. Feature Request ?
Thanks and all the best to the Veeam Team :)

Krzysztof
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: VM UUID and Backups - Feature Request?

Post by veremin »

Backup server tracks VMs based on MorefID they have. Replica VM has a different MorefID compared to source VM, because of that backup server considers it to be a new machine. Thanks.
krzychu
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Krzysztof Piglowski

Post by krzychu »

Thanks Vladimir, are there any plans on the roadmap to manually map VM backups (not replicas) to the existing points? Any workarounds I could try or is this a point-blank 'no can do'?

Thanks,
K.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are there any plans on the roadmap to manually map VM backups (not replicas) to the existing points?
The functionality is there already - you can map any VM to existing backup data. However, during initial run full backup (not incremental) will be created.
Any workarounds I could try or is this a point-blank 'no can do'?
Nothing I'm aware of. There is a tool updating VM references inside product database, but it's for different use case - vCenter migration.

Thanks.